This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.0407 / 55°2'26"N
Longitude: -3.3666 / 3°21'59"W
OS Eastings: 312766
OS Northings: 572651
OS Grid: NY127726
Mapcode National: GBR 4BX4.YV
Mapcode Global: WH6XZ.8K3L
Entry Name: Murraythwaite House and Stable Court
Listing Date: 3 August 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334612
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3548
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Annandale South
Traditional County: Dumfriesshire
Several building phases; core circa 1766, 2-storey, 4-bay
house, additions throughout 19th century culminating in 1902
(dated) additions and re-modelling by Sir Reginald Blomfield. Symmetrical 2-storey country house with full-height flanking
wings, and plain long W wing. Mostly rubble-built with ashlar
S elevation: original house rendered with ashlar margins and
off-centre plain doorway an alteration with re-set inscribed
stones above; 3 pedimented dormers (probably by Blomfield):
advanced flanking wings (left wing has 1844 dated ground
floor lintel) altered and heightened by Blomfield, with
canted full-height windows with pilastered mullions,
datestone and clasping pilaster strips. Main cornice and
blocking course carried over all elevations.
N elevation: 3-bay centrepiece, early 19th century addition
to main house double-pile arrangement, with mid 19th century
inserted cross windows (paired in outer bays); shallow
advanced and pedimented central entrance bay with (?)original
panelled door and decorative fanlight, brass doorbell (?)by
Blomfield. Flanking steep-pitched wallhead gables; wings each
2 bays. Windows mostly small-paned sashes; dormers and cross
windows casements. Corniced stacks; piended slate roofs. W
wing, by Blomfield, also 2 storeys, but lower, and with
U-plan stables to SW, court flanked by rusticated piers;
garages in S range; glass-houses to S, beyond.
Murray of Murraythwaite archive in S.R.O. includes relevant documentation.
Original house built for John Murray.
Various inscribed dates probably refer to building dates:
stone inscribed "1800, 1823, 1863" and "Refecit 18(?4)5";
17th century pediment and 1660 lintel re-set over S door.
G.D. ref. includes building account 1768-70 and 1774.
Palladian elevation by Walter Newall - copy in Dumfries
Other nearby listed buildings