This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0528 / 56°3'10"N
Longitude: -3.3058 / 3°18'21"W
OS Eastings: 318766
OS Northings: 685210
OS Grid: NT187852
Mapcode National: GBR 24.QM82
Mapcode Global: WH6S5.6415
Entry Name: Aberdour, 1, 2, 3, 4 Kirk Cottages, High Street
Listing Date: 2 May 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334707
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3590
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Aberdour (Fife)
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Parish: Aberdour (Fife)
Traditional County: Fife
18th century with later alterations. A row of 4 near identical, 3-bay, 2-storey rectangular-plan houses, rear single storey extension to each. Rendered, painted stone margins to openings.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: identical arrangement to houses. Symmetrical elevation. Central door, timber and glazed porch, flanking windows. 3 1st floor windows arranged above ground floor openings.
W ELEVATION: ground floor window at right to No 4.
N ELEVATION: near identical arrangement to houses; asymmetrical elevation, door to right, extension to off-centre left at ground. Varied fenestration at 1st floor.
E ELEVATION: bowed plain gable wall to No 1.
Predominantly 2-leaf timber doors with glazing to porches. Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows to S elevation, No 3 tilt and turn plate glass, varied glazing to rear including 2 small, 2-pane timber casement windows to 1st floor rear of No 1. Pitched roof, modern clay pantiles, piended slate roofs to rear extensions. Raised curved pantiled skew at No 1 to E elevation, raised coped skews to E elevation of No 3 and to W elevation of No 4. Coped, exposed stone shared gable apex stacks between Nos 1 and 2 and No's 3 and 4. Rendered, coped gable apex stacks to outer far E and W elevations and to E elevation of No 3, circular clay cans, thackstanes.
NOTES: The houses were built to accommodate the Earl of Moray's estate workers. It is recorded that in 1735 the kirk session bought the houses from the Earl for #330 Scots, in the next year it carried out improvements to the houses. The thackstanes to the chimneys indicate that the roofs at one time had a steeper pitch and were most likely thatched. It might have been in 1735 that the thatch was replaced and the pitch lowered. The small casement windows to the rear of no 1 most likely remain from before the 1736 improvements. It is of interest to note that the porches to the principal elevation were once leaded canopies and were enclosed during the 1990s by timber and glazing.
Other nearby listed buildings