This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0518 / 56°3'6"N
Longitude: -3.2944 / 3°17'39"W
OS Eastings: 319480
OS Northings: 685087
OS Grid: NT194850
Mapcode National: GBR 24.QPW2
Mapcode Global: WH6S5.C4HX
Entry Name: Aberdour, Harbour Pier Including Workshop/Club House
Listing Date: 2 May 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334715
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3595
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Aberdour (Fife)
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Early 18th century, extended 19th century. Irregularly shaped pier. Coursed and uncoursed dry rubble pier, rubble secured with pinnnings to S pierhead. Later coped, rubble parapet to W. Tarmac to pier surface. Steps within pier to S, N and NE. Workshop and Clubhouse built up from SW pier (former weigh house), uncoursed rubble with later brick wallhead, various openings, irregular shaped roof; green corrugated sheeting. Brick and timber 1960s toilet block to far W.
There is mention of a port at Aberdour in the 16th century, however this probably refers to the naturally sheltered anchorage afforded by the mouth of the Dour burn. In 1703 it is recorded that there was a quay at Aberdour for the loading of coal and salt, in the subsequent year the port was granted by charter to the Earl of Morton. A plan of 1785 shows the harbour to be a straight projection of about 380ft. It is documented in the late 18th century that the harbour was used to ship limestone from the Earl of Morton's quarries. At some point between the late 18th and early 19th century a curved pierhead was added to the harbour. A plan of 1811 shows an east pier of about 70ft between the main pier and the burn mouth, (the pier no longer survives, a rebuilt jetty currently occupies its probable position, 2002). A pend built to the most southwesterly point of the pier served as the weigh house, the rear at some later date was converted into a fisherman's shiel with a chimney at the rear. During the 19th century the pend and shiel were heightened and completely roofed over as one building, it is at this point it assumed the role as workshop indicated by the large doors to the E and clubhouse to the W. In the First World War the building was given over to the Navy to be used as a mortuary should the need have arisen, it is only noted that it held 1 sailor who accidentally drowned. During the mid to late 19th century Aberdour was a very popular destination for daytrippers travelling from Granton and Leith by steam ship. The harbour however could only be used when the tide was high, therefore a wooden pier was built in the later 19th century to the E at Hawkcraing point allowing people to disembark when the tide was low (Hawkcraig pier is in poor condition, 2002). The wooden sentry box which slightly overhangs the harbour - of the way out to sea is a replacement of a ticket booth for the cross Forth steamer trips, it is noted as operating in 1897.
Other nearby listed buildings