History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Earlstoun Castle

A Category A Listed Building in Dee and Glenkens, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.1311 / 55°7'51"N

Longitude: -4.1775 / 4°10'38"W

OS Eastings: 261268

OS Northings: 584022

OS Grid: NX612840

Mapcode National: GBR 4V.LY84

Mapcode Global: WH4TX.S9X8

Entry Name: Earlstoun Castle

Listing Date: 4 November 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 334743

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3624

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dalry (Dumf & Galloway)

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Dee and Glenkens

Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire

Find accommodation in
Dalry

Description

Late 16th or early 17th century L-plan tower-house; 3 storeys
and attics. Random rubble walling with roughly squared
quoins, and slate roofs. A 2-storey mid 17th-century (1655)
addition formerly adjoined W gable, demolished circa 1850;
single-storey 19th-century rubble-built steading abuts jamb
to S.
Access to the tower is by depressed-arch doorway in
re-entrant angle; above rises stair-turret supported on
roughly cut rows of corbels. This rises to full-height, being
further corbelled out at 2nd floor resting on 4 bull-nosed
corbels. Cat-slide turret-roof incorporated into main roof.
The windows to the 1st floor hall probably mid 17th-century
enlargements with roll-moulded jambs. Otherwise window and
door openings with bull-nosed chamfering. To N-elevation 2
1st floor windows with restored roll-moulded jambs. Below
easternmost 1st floor window to S an inserted stone dated
1655 and inscribed WG MH (William Gordon, Mary Hope) pierced
by a circular hole has been resited from W addition.The gable
line of this wing abutting the main tower can clearly be
seen, along with a blocked communicating door to 1st floor.
Interior: stone barrel-vaulted cellars to ground floor, wheel
stair occupies whole of jamb to 1st floor level. Remains of
fine 17th-century timber panelling to hall, part of Ionic
pilaster flanking fireplace and some cornice details survive.
Turret stair gives access to upper floors, timber joists and
boards in poor condition. The newel-posts of both stairs have
collapsed.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.