History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Aberdour, 4 Seaside Place, St Helen's

A Category C Listed Building in Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0517 / 56°3'5"N

Longitude: -3.299 / 3°17'56"W

OS Eastings: 319192

OS Northings: 685071

OS Grid: NT191850

Mapcode National: GBR 24.QNV1

Mapcode Global: WH6S5.9592

Entry Name: Aberdour, 4 Seaside Place, St Helen's

Listing Date: 19 December 1979

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 334749

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3630

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberdour (Fife)

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Aberdour

Description

Later 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay rectangular-plan house. Canted, chamfered double-height window to 3rd bay, lugged architraves to windows at 1st and 2nd bays. Ashlar with raised long and short quoins, base course and eaves cornice at principal elevation. Droved, snecked rubble elsewhere.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical elevation. Short flight of steps to central door; pilastered doorpiece with entablature and moulded cornice. 4-light double height canted window to right, window to left at ground floor. 1st floor openings centred above openings below.

SW ELEVATION: partially seen (2002). Inserted ground floor window offset to left.

NE ELEVATION: attached to 2 Seaside Place.

Timber panelled door, 2-pane letterbox fanlight. Predominantly replacement 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended slate roof. Shouldered, corniced wallhead stacks, polygonal clay cans.

Statement of Interest

NOTES: The land which Seaside Place and the surrounding area is built upon was acquired by the 11th Earl of Morton in 1725. It was laid out throughout the late 18th and 19th centuries and is shown on maps of this date as 'New Town'. The area was built to provide a fashionable place to live set aside from Easter and Wester Aberdour and to cater for the growing market of well-heeled and discerning tourists during the 19th century. The house was sold to the Free Church in 1888 whereupon Rev. J Brown left the original manse at Sands Place and moved into this house renaming it St Helen's. It is not known at what point the house left the hands of the church however the church itself at Sands Place was demolished in the 1960s.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.