This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.057 / 56°3'25"N
Longitude: -3.2964 / 3°17'46"W
OS Eastings: 319366
OS Northings: 685660
OS Grid: NT193856
Mapcode National: GBR 24.QHD2
Mapcode Global: WH6S5.B0KZ
Entry Name: Aberdour, 45, 47 Main Street, Wellside.
Listing Date: 19 December 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334753
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3635
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Aberdour (Fife)
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Parish: Aberdour (Fife)
Traditional County: Fife
18th century. 2-storey, 3-bay rectangular-plan house. Harled, painted stone surrounds to openings.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near symmetrical elevation. Central door with slim letterbox fanlight, flanking bipartite windows. 1st floor windows arranged above openings below, close to eaves.
NE ELEVATION: plain gable wall. Evidence of adjoined building to left and at between floor level.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: partially seen, 2002. Altered elevation; modern, late 20th century extension to ground floor. Door to centre of 1st floor, modern window to left.
SW ELEVATION: remaining wall of single storey building adjoining right hand corner, raggles of pitched roofline to left, further remains of former building at between floor level. Window to far left at 1st floor.
Modern timber door. Lower 2-pane, with upper 6-pane windows to SE ground floor, modern windows to rest. Pitched roof, grey slates. Ashlar coped skew to right gable of SW elevation, crowstepped gable to left. Gable apex stack to SW, enlarged gable apex stack to NE, clay cans, thackstanes. Remaining wall of single storey building to SW; ashlar coped skew with beaked skewput.
NOTES: The name 'Wellside' refers to a pilgrim's well which once stood in the vicinity of the house. In 1474 the Earl of Morton granted a charter to set up a hospital to care for pilgrims which was situated near the well and gave an acre of land for its foundation. In 1487 it was decided that the hospital should be staffed by the Sisters of the Third Order of St Francis and it is recorded that the nunnery occupied 3 acres to the north of Main Street opposite St Filans Church (see separate listing). The nunnery was short-lived as the reformation saw it dissolved in the mid 16th century. Although there is no physical evidence remaining of both well and nunnery, the name of 45-47 Main Street alludes to its past. Aberdour and surrounding land is divided between the old feudal estates of the Earls of Morton (Easter Aberdour) and the Earls of Moray (Wester Aberdour). Main Street is the main thoroughfare to Easter Aberdour. 45-47 Main Street has been altered over time, however it retains some of its original features including thackstanes and crowstepped gable, it was once possibly thatched.
Other nearby listed buildings