History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Aberdour, Aberdour House Entrance Gateway Including Connecting Walls with Terminating Obelisks

A Category B Listed Building in Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0541 / 56°3'14"N

Longitude: -3.3006 / 3°18'2"W

OS Eastings: 319093

OS Northings: 685345

OS Grid: NT190853

Mapcode National: GBR 24.QGG6

Mapcode Global: WH6S5.83J5

Entry Name: Aberdour, Aberdour House Entrance Gateway Including Connecting Walls with Terminating Obelisks

Listing Date: 2 May 2004

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 334757

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3639

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberdour (Fife)

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay

Parish: Aberdour (Fife)

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Aberdour

Description

18th century with later alterations. Pair of large, ashlar, square-plan, fluted gatepiers; banded rustication, moulded, corniced cap surmounted by ball finial. Flanking rebuilt connecting rubble walls to N and E, coped, ashlar long and short quoins to angle, surmounted by small, squat obelisk.

Statement of Interest

NOTES: B-Group with Aberdour House and Aberdour House Obelisk, Cuttlehill. It is documented that when Robert Cunningham was employed to build Aberdour House Obelisk at Cuttlehill (see separate listing) in 1745, he also worked on 6 gatepiers, it is probable that from the 6, these are a surviving pair. The gates have been slightly moved from their original position when the house was refurbished in the early 1990s, the connecting walls have been substantially altered and rebuilt. The connecting wall to the N attaches to the NE boundary wall of Aberdour House which terminates at the Dour Burn. The wall is built of random rubble with ashlar coping. Half way along the wall there are a pair of ashlar, rusticated gatepiers, these too could have been the work of Robert Cunningham in 1745, the entrance opening is now blocked with breeze blocks (2002). To the far NE there is evidence of 2 blocked windows. In 1890 with the coming of the railway line to Aberdour the entrance to Aberdour Castle (see separate listing) was realigned, the boundary wall of Aberdour House (see separate listing) was used to create the new approach to castle, it is for this reason that the wall is now associated with the castle and thus designated as a scheduled monument with the castle.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.