This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.0398 / 56°2'23"N
Longitude: -3.3345 / 3°20'4"W
OS Eastings: 316956
OS Northings: 683795
OS Grid: NT169837
Mapcode National: GBR 23.RDTQ
Mapcode Global: WH6S4.RGC5
Entry Name: St. Bridget's Church
Listing Date: 24 November 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334790
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3667
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Traditional County: Fife
Pre-Reformation Single-chambered church altered in 16th
and 17th cents. Rubble. Roofless. Buttress at S.E. angle.
Forestair at E. end to former Donibristle loft. Burial
aisles on N. and S. sides. DALGETY AISLE (early 17th cent.)
at w. end. Z-plan. 2 storeys. Ashlar lower floor is burial
vault (with remains of Chancellor Seton). Upper floor
reached by turnpike stair has two rooms panelled in stone
and gives on to former loft. Interior of church contains
piscina and interesting sepulchral monuments.
Consecrated 1244. Abandoned 1830; roof removed by Lord
Moray. Alexander Seton, 1st Earl of Dunfermline (1555-1622)
Lord Chancellor of Scotland acquired Dalgety estate from
Abernethy family in 1593. It eventually passed to Earl of
Moray who joined it to his Donibristle and St. Colme
estates. There is no trace now of Dalgety House.
Scheduled Monument 28 April 1999.
Other nearby listed buildings