This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0979 / 56°5'52"N
Longitude: -3.2753 / 3°16'30"W
OS Eastings: 320764
OS Northings: 690187
OS Grid: NT207901
Mapcode National: GBR 25.MVHP
Mapcode Global: WH6RS.NZKP
Entry Name: Auchtertool Parish Church (Church of Scotland)
Listing Date: 10 September 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334791
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3668
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy
Traditional County: Fife
Reconstructed 1833, incorporating earlier fabric (see Notes); Rev William Stevenson, N aisle 1905-6. Rectangular-plan plain gothic church with lean-to N aisle, 2 battlemented porches and octagonal ashlar birdcage bellcote. Squared rubble, heavily dressed porches; droved ashlar margins and voussoirs. Tudor-arched openings to original building, pointed-arch openings to N aisle and porches. Chamfered reveals, stone tracery.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Window to centre bay flanked by battlemented porches each with panelled timber door, and further windows to outer bays.
W ELEVATION: gabled elevation with centre window and corbelled, finialled belfry with bell (dated 1887) at gablehead.
N ELEVATION: lean-to aisle to right with 3 windows, that to centre with keystone dated 1906; and lower set-back lean-to porch to left with boarded timber door below keystone dated 1898, and window to outer left.
E ELEVATION: full-width, coped and battered, deep base course (earlier fabric?) giving way to traceried window and Forbes family coat of arms in gablehead.
Stained glass windows (see Interior). Slated. Ashlar-coped skews with block skewputts.
INTERIOR: fixed timber pews (some box pews) and boarded dado. Scallop-capitalled Romanesque arcade to N aisle with classical mural memorials to Rev Walter Welsh and James Watt, farmer of Balbarton. Raised chancel with carved gothic screen and pulpit, octagonal stone font, and fine stencilled pipe organ and console (see Notes) to N. Traceried E window with Ss Andrew and John, memorial to Major General Liddell: WWI War Memorial to SE window with WWII plaque.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Since 1969 Auchtertool has shared its minister, and since 1991 has been linked with Linktown Church, Kirkcaldy. Rebuilt more than once, the original church is thought to have been Norman built by Queen Margaret or her son David. The Skene of Hallyards burial vault lies beneath the N aisle, approximately 3.5m wide x 6m long, the entrance now within the walls of the sanctuary. The organ, another gift of Rev William Stevenson, was built in 1886 by Casson & Miller of Perth. One of only six of its kind, it is similar to that at St John's, Perth, Stevenson's previous church.
Other nearby listed buildings