This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.098 / 56°5'52"N
Longitude: -3.277 / 3°16'37"W
OS Eastings: 320657
OS Northings: 690201
OS Grid: NT206902
Mapcode National: GBR 25.MV1G
Mapcode Global: WH6RS.MZRL
Entry Name: Auchtertool Manse Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gate
Listing Date: 24 November 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334792
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3669
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy
Traditional County: Fife
James Gillespie Graham, 1812; rear wing by Williamson & Inglis, 1900. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, L-plan, Gothick manse. Squared rubble and harl with quoin strips. Base course. Pointed-arch openings; tracery; hoodmoulds with label-stops; droved and chamfered arrises; bracketed cills and stone mullions.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Advanced centre gable with broad moulded doorpiece, hoodmould, panelled timber door and intersecting tracery to Y-traceried fanlight at ground with tall, hoodmoulded, Y-traceried window above. Flanking bays each with decoratively-astragalled pointed-arch bipartite window in moulded panel to each floor. Small traditional rooflight to left above, and modern Velux to right.
NE ELEVATION: canted bay to outer left with bipartite windows to each floor of advanced face and blinded single windows to returns, further bipartite window to each floor of bay immediately to right, (windows detailed as above). Lower, slightly set-back extension beyond to right with 2 windows to ground and 2 off-set bipartite windows to 1st floor, latter flanking diamond-aligned wallhead stack dated 1900.
SW ELEVATION: blank elevation to right with group of 4 diamond-aligned wallhead stacks, and window to each floor on return to left. Lower set-back extension to left irregular fenestration.
NW ELEVATION: asymmetrical elevation with boarded timber door to centre at ground, and 2 windows to left, further window to outer left at 1st floor, and shouldered wallhead stack to centre above.
4-, 8-, 12- and 16-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows throughout. Grey slates to piended roof with overhanging eaves. Coped ashlar stacks with full-complement of polygonal cans.
INTERIOR: plain cornices and working panelled timber shutters; dog-leg staircase with timber balusters and corniced square newels. Marble fireplaces, that to ground floor SE carved and pilastered (possibly not original). Extension with decorative cornices, tabbed architraved windows and moulded timber fireplace with cast-iron grate and tiled surround.
BOUNDARY WALLS WITH GATEPIERS AND GATE: rubble boundary walls with small pyramidally-coped gatepiers and ironwork gate to E.
According to Stevenson, a local story relates that the Countess of Moray was involved in the 'style and character of the building'. Rev Walter Welsh took over the manse in 1846 and was responsible for laying out the grounds; Thomas Carlyle was a frequent visitor of Rev Welsh. By 1908 the Drawing Room was situated at the first floor SE room. The manse passed into private ownership in 1970.
Other nearby listed buildings