History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Auchterderran, Woodend Road, Auchterderran Parish Church with Boundary Walls, Gates and Gatepiers

A Category B Listed Building in Auchterderran, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.1503 / 56°9'0"N

Longitude: -3.2665 / 3°15'59"W

OS Eastings: 321418

OS Northings: 696008

OS Grid: NT214960

Mapcode National: GBR 25.JJ3Y

Mapcode Global: WH6RL.SPQ0

Entry Name: Auchterderran, Woodend Road, Auchterderran Parish Church with Boundary Walls, Gates and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 10 September 1979

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 334797

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3674

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Auchterderran

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Lochgelly, Cardenden and Benarty

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Leslie

Description

1789 transepts; nave (S aisle) and galleries added, and windows altered to lancets by William Constable 1891; Norman window (see Notes) re-sited in chancel 1891; flat-roofed extension earlier 20th century. 2-storey, cruciform-plan Church with birdcage bellcote and fleche. Dressed squared and snecked rubble with droved quoins; moulded eaves course, pointed and segmental-headed openings, hoodmould, chamfered reveals and traceried N and S windows.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: advanced gable to left of centre with 2-leaf timber door below small-pane, pointed fanlight and decorative hoodmould, window above and tall windows in flanking bays; cross- finialled open bellcote at gablehead: recessed bay to right with 2 tall windows and lower, blank recessed bay to left.

N ELEVATION: broad, ball-finialled gable with corniced, traceried window at centre and smaller window to right.

E ELEVATION: advanced gable to right of centre with window (converted door) at ground over memorial stone, further window above, tall windows in flanking bays and on return to left; recessed bay to left with 2 tall windows and small lean-to structure in re-entrant angle; recessed bay to right with 3 small windows over flat-roofed extension (initialled ?RF?) with timber door and window.

S ELEVATION: advanced gable with traceried window at centre, arrow slit above dated AD 1891 in gablehead.

Small-pane leaded glazing throughout, some coloured; stained glass (see below) to chancel and E transept (see below). Grey slates with decorative terracotta ridge tiles; timber-louvred and slated fleche, set on diagonal, with decorative terracotta finial. Ashlar coped skews and gablet skewputts.

INTERIOR: chancel to N with Norman window over timber panelled blind arcading reflected in designs of communion table, font, lectern and 2-stage pulpit with brass handrail; organ (Ingram & Co, 1907). Transepts and S aisle with fixed timber pews and panelled galleries, rounded at corners, with raked floors supported on sturdy cast-iron columns with moulded capitals. Boarded timber dado throughout.

Stained glass windows to N (Norman frame) ?The Good Shepherd and The Risen Lord? (1930), and 3 smaller commemorative windows of stylised foliage (c1890) to E of chancel; E transept with 2 full height windows by A Ballantine & Son, ?The Good Samaritan? (1905) and ?Sing We To The Lord? (1912) each giving way to coloured windowhead in gallery; glazed oculus to tracery of S window ?Suffer the Little Children to Come Unto Me? with centre lily and dove of peace.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: coped rubble boundary walls and coped, rusticated ashlar gatepiers to N; low saddleback-coped rubble and coped harl boundary walls with coped ashlar gatepiers to W. Decorative cast-iron gates and railings.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Original transepts built (1789 according to OSA and Fasti) of stone taken from Old St Fothad?s Kirk, part of which remains in the churchyard (listed separately); a new bell was installed 1831, with 1891 alterations doubling seating capacity and "restoring the fabric to its ancient cruciform shape" (Houston); also gifted at this time were the oak pulpit, font, Communion table and lectern. The traceried N window (thought to be 11th century) was originally situated in the W gable of Old St Fothad?s, however a photograph in Houston?s 1924 publication shows it in the N gable. Stained glass to this window donated by Rev A Houston in memory of his parents, the companion donated by his sister in memory of her husband. Houston also set up Auchterderran?s Masonic Lodge No 1059, waiting for this number as it is thought to be the date of the original church, freemasons are still responsible for upkeep of the window. William Constable was the architect of St Fothad?s Parish Church, Cardenden Road, 1909-10.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.