History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Auchterderran, Woodend Road, Auchterderran Parish Church Crypt and Graveyard

A Category B Listed Building in Auchterderran, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.1504 / 56°9'1"N

Longitude: -3.266 / 3°15'57"W

OS Eastings: 321449

OS Northings: 696020

OS Grid: NT214960

Mapcode National: GBR 25.JJ76

Mapcode Global: WH6RL.SNZX

Entry Name: Auchterderran, Woodend Road, Auchterderran Parish Church Crypt and Graveyard

Listing Date: 4 October 1996

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 334799

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3675

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Auchterderran

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Lochgelly, Cardenden and Benarty

Parish: Auchterderran

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Leslie

Description

CRYPT: dated 1676, possibly incorporating earlier fabric. Small, rectangular, slated, rubble building. Moulded doorway (blocked) to W with dated lintel and pediment containing Kinninmonth coat of arms; pedimented Kinninmonth memorial slab to S with skull and crossed bones, initials "IKMW" (John Kinninmonth and Margaret Wemyss) in tympanum; blinded window (see Notes) to N.

GRAVEYARD: 18th century and later. Earlier gravestones

predominantly simple block pedimented style with inscriptions, including memorial to Thomas Birnel 1727 with gardening tools and initials TM and RG flanking weavers tools' on reverse. 19th century memorials predominantly classical with urns and pilasters, and obelisks. Various carvings include sand-glasses, crowns, bells, spades, children's heads with wings, goblets, skulls, suns and stars. Moulded balusters and carved panel set into random rubble adjacent to W elevation of crypt commemorate John Pindar, poet.

Statement of Interest

Also known as 'Kinninmonth mausoleum' and 'the Shrine', the crypt (previously listed as 'Kirkyard Building, Old St Fothad's Church') is believed to be the chancel of Old St Fothad's Medieval Church which was given by St Fothad, last bishop of Alban (1059-93), "to God, St Serf, and the hermit Culdees of Lochleven" (Groome). Enlarged 1676 with addition of transepts and nave, the additions were demolished 1784 providing materials for new church; Norman window frame transferred to N wall of Parish Church (listed separately) during 1920 renovation of the latter. Some 'Kynninmonths of that ilk', Mr Landale, his wife and daughter, and John Henderson (factor at Lochgelly) are interred within the crypt, the door of which "is of old oak and hob-nailed, the remains of a new door placed on the old church before it fell, after 1676" (Houston).

The NSA reports that "even the poor labourer is under hardship of providing safes for the graves of his friends", and Houston "some of the graves contain strips of iron welded into jankar-stones, placed 3' or 4' below the surface" (p211). By 1859 only heritors and next of kin to those already buried in the graveyard were permitted burial here.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.