This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0365 / 56°2'11"N
Longitude: -3.496 / 3°29'45"W
OS Eastings: 306884
OS Northings: 683632
OS Grid: NT068836
Mapcode National: GBR 1X.RLK1
Mapcode Global: WH5QY.8JHQ
Entry Name: Charlestown Village, the Queen's Hall
Listing Date: 31 December 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334873
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3743
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Rosyth
Traditional County: Fife
Robert Rowand Anderson, 1887. Community hall; L-plan to N; rectangular section to S; Scots 17th century style. Crowstepped gables throughout; harled; pebbledashed section to S. Ashlar surrounds to openings, stacks, quoins and eaves course.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: pedimented ground floor window to left, breaking eaves; Earl of Elgin's Coronet and initials 'M L E' (Mary Louise, Countess of Elgin) in tympanum. Gable wall to right; tripartite window; taller central window with corniced pediment; tympanum inscribed; 'THE QUEENS HALL'. Window lintels inscribed; 'ERECTED IN THE JUBILEE YEAR OF QUEEN VICTORIA'. Ashlar chamfered corner to right; cyma recta cornice; inset panel with Elgin coat of arms. Pedimented window, breaking eaves in right return. Flat-roofed porch; 2-leaf glazed door between left L-plan section and right parallel section. Crowstepped gable set back to right; 1st floor window in apex. Gabled section in front; 2 basement windows; 3 windows above.
N ELEVATION: advanced central door; crowstepped porch; advanced flat-roofed window to left. Pedimented window to left; breaking eaves. Advanced gable to right; 2 windows; corniced gable apex stack; ashlar quoins.
E ELEVATION: advanced gable wall to left; window to left; blocked up window to right. Gable wall set back to right; tripartite window; taller central window with corniced pediment. Tall stack to left between parallel gable walls; corniced stack; ashlar quoins.
S ELEVATION: door to far right; 5 windows to left; blocked basement window to far left.
Varying glazing patterns; predominantly 12 and 6-pane timber sash and case windows. Pitched roofs; red clay tiles; ashlar crowsteps. 2 rooflights to S, 1 to N of S section. Projecting ventilation grilles in L-shaped section roof. Decorative cast-iron hoppers.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.
A-Group with 1-90 Charlestown Village, exluding 36-37 and 52-55 Charlestown Village; Charlestown, Bridge of Former Elgin Railway; Charlestown, Camsie House; Charlestown Harbour; Charlestown Harbour Road, Limekilns; Charlestown Village, K6 Telephone Kiosk; Charlestown, 8, 10, 14, The Sutlery, 16, 18 Rocks Road; Charlestown, 12 Rocks Road, The Old School House; Charlestown, Rocks Road, Former Estate Workshop and Charlestown, Rocks Road, Old School. Charlestown village was built by Charles, 5th Earl of Elgin (1732-1771) to the plan of the letter "K" and an elongated "E" and named after its founder. The Earl of Elgin exploited the nearby deposits of coal and limestone to create an industry which involved the establishment of the largest limeworks in Scotland, an iron foundry, brick works, the export of coal and coke, the necessary transport for the materials which included wagonways and the harbour and provided accommodation for the workers. The Earls of Elgin were clearly interested in the welfare of their employees; this is evident by the way in which the houses were grouped around a village green, each with a garden and the inclusion of the school and addition of The Queen's Hall to the village. The planned village has survived well and its importance is enhanced by the retention of its associated structures including The Queen's Hall, shop, limekilns and harbour. Built to commemorate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee, The Queen's Hall was gifted by the Dowager Countess of Elgin to the village. It had a hall, reading room, library and bowling green. Although the library was discontinued circa 1980, The Queen's Hall and bowling green continue to be used for their original purpose.
Other nearby listed buildings