This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1199 / 56°7'11"N
Longitude: -3.5141 / 3°30'50"W
OS Eastings: 305963
OS Northings: 692939
OS Grid: NT059929
Mapcode National: GBR 1W.LGHJ
Mapcode Global: WH5QJ.ZFTR
Entry Name: Dunnygask House, Upper Steelend, Dunfermline (Excluding Single Storey Extension to East and Conservatory to South)
Listing Date: 19 December 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334911
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3771
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages
Traditional County: Fife
Circa 1800 with later additions and incorporating earlier fabric, probably from an earlier house on same site. The house includes a date stone and lintel, both dated 1683. 2-storey and attic, symmetrical, 3-bay, rectangular-plan, gabled farmhouse with scrolled skewputts. Tooled rubble with ashlar eaves course, window margins and straight quoins. Main door to centre of south elevation with moulded architrave surround. Small attic windows at gable ends (window to west gable blocked). Single storey lean-to outshot to north elevation: the door to right has a shield date stone with thistle finial, inscribed 1683 and initialled 'RD'. The window lintel in the left return is inscribed 'R 1683 D'. Single story, rubble lean-to porch addition to north. Mid 20th century, single storey, rubble garage addition to west gable.
Predominantly 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Red concrete tile with 2 rooflights to south elevation. Coped and corniced ashlar end stacks with circular clay cans.
The interior was seen in 2013. There is a cantilevered staircase with finely turned timber handrail, rising to attic level. Some early 19th century cornicing survives to principal rooms.
Dunnygask House, dating from around 1800, is a substantial Improvement Period farmhouse constructed from traditional local materials. The present house appears on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1855. The site is marked as 'Tunigask' on Blaeu's 1654 map and 'Tinnygask' on the 1828 Counties of Fife Map, indicating that the site was occupied from at least the mid 17th century by an earlier farmstead or dwelling of sufficient distinction to merit inclusion in early map recording of this area. A carved date stone and lintel, both dated 1683, are incorporated into the present house and are likely to have been part of the earlier house on the site, adding to its interest.
The south Fife landscape is characterised by its rich heritage of agricultural buildings and they are a key part of the architectural character of the area. Located on high hill-side ground with open views of the Firth of Forth, Dunnygask House contributes to this interest. The area prospered when improvements to farming methods increased productivity and profit, towards the end of the 18th century. The scrolled skews, narrow quoins, moulded doorpiece, ashlar margins and cantilevered staircase at Dunnygask are representative of quality Fife architecture of the late 18th or early 19th century. The stone ridges (thackstanes) at the base of each chimneystack show that the house would originally have been thatched.
The remains of a former steading range are intervisible to the west, adding to the contextual historic interest of the property.
The single storey extension to the east gable and the timber conservatory adjoining the south elevation are later 20th century additions and do not meet the criteria for listing at the time of the update to the listed building record (2014).