History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dornock Village, Dornock Parish Church and Churchyard

A Category B Listed Building in Dornock, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9825 / 54°58'56"N

Longitude: -3.204 / 3°12'14"W

OS Eastings: 323048

OS Northings: 565984

OS Grid: NY230659

Mapcode National: GBR 6B2T.4Q

Mapcode Global: WH6YF.R1H5

Entry Name: Dornock Village, Dornock Parish Church and Churchyard

Listing Date: 3 August 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 334938

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3786

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dornock

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Annandale South

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Find accommodation in
Bowness-on-Solway

Description

Built 1793. Straightforward T-plan church with round-headed

openings and 4-bay long S elevation; low vestry adjoins E

gable; N porch added 1861 with unusual roof. Rubble-built

with ashlar dressings, polished margins, impost blocks and

keystones.

Blind oculus in N gable and birdcage belfry; other main

gables capped with ball-finialled blocks. Margined glazing

perhaps 1861; straight skews; slate roofs.

Interior: refurbished and re-seated by James Barbour 1884-5;

panelled octagonal pulpit centre on S wall with pilastered

(?original) backboard; gallery in jamb opposite - installed

1861 - has similarly detailed panelled front. Circa 1900

painted and leaded glass windows flank pulpit.

Churchyard: important group of 3 13th century coped grave stones close to E boundary: the northernmost is earthfast and badly weathered; other 2 richly carved and supported on four small Romanesque capitals dating to the late 11th or early 12th century. Numerous good 17th -19th century headstones. Random rubble boundary walls; 2 gateways in E wall with square corniced gatepiers, those nearest N dated 1902 with wrought-iron gates.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. A good late 18th century T-plan church with handsome Victorian interior. A grass-grown mound in the churchyard, covered by later graves represents the site of E end of the medieval church. The 13th century carved stones are of national importance.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.