This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.983 / 54°58'58"N
Longitude: -3.202 / 3°12'7"W
OS Eastings: 323172
OS Northings: 566042
OS Grid: NY231660
Mapcode National: GBR 6B2T.KJ
Mapcode Global: WH6YF.S0DR
Entry Name: Dornock Village, Dornock House, Old Farmhouse and Steading, Including Detached Tall West Block
Listing Date: 3 August 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 334944
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3792
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Annandale South
Traditional County: Dumfriesshire
Numerous building dates, but mainly 18th century. Large farm
steading complex incorporating 2-storey and originally
free-standing early classical (1700/30) house in long
rectangular-plan E block (latter links with Dornock Town
farmhouse - listed separately); central lower linking block
(mostly byre) altered and with brick additions, parallel
ranges at N with walled rectangular courtyard between. Built
mostly of red rubble with ashlar dressings; slate roofs.
House: abandoned circa 1950; originally 4 bays with door in
3rd bay extended by 2 bays in to full-height long mid 18th
century range to E. Round-arched and key-stoned door
architrave with impost blocks, foliate ornament in spandrels,
shallow polished ashlar panel links door to cill above.
Windows in plain architraves and with moulded cills; right
bay much altered and with garage slapping. 1st floor windows
break eaves band; moulded eaves cornice; straight skews;
stacks removed. Lean-to's at rear and openings in chamfered
Interior virtually gutted, but some panelled window shutters,
original chimneypiece at ground.
E range: plain barn, with alterations. 2 left bays (with
architraved windows and wide kitchen fireplace) form part of
house. Modern lean-to glass-house; roughly-hewn roof timbers
with wooden pegs.
Courtyard ranges at W both probably 2nd half 18th century;
tall barn nearest E; long implement shed opposite.
Barn: segmental-arched barn door to courtyard in tall central projection; lean-to's adjoin at N. Gable end and chimney flue
of earlier building incorporated at NE corner (visible from
Detached west block: (westmost range) long tall range all
arcaded to courtyard at ground, arches of differing width and
now mostly blocked. Loft above with square-headed openings;
bothy at S end.
Present farmhouse, on S side of road, not included in
B group with Dornock Town farmhouse and steading north range:
Item 2 and 3.
Upgraded B to A 30.9.87
Other nearby listed buildings