History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Heathall Uniroyal Factory

A Category B Listed Building in Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0958 / 55°5'44"N

Longitude: -3.5849 / 3°35'5"W

OS Eastings: 298957

OS Northings: 579079

OS Grid: NX989790

Mapcode National: GBR 39DJ.P3

Mapcode Global: WH5WJ.X52T

Entry Name: Heathall Uniroyal Factory

Listing Date: 26 June 1986

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 334972

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3819

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dumfries

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Lochar

Parish: Dumfries

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Find accommodation in
Amisfield Town

Description

Built 1913 on the model of designs by Albert Kahn, for Arrol Johnston Motor car manufacture - now a tyre factory.

International-style substantial 3-storey factory block, roughly rectangular-plan, built around partly-roofed courtyard, ferra-concrete frame with brick and glass infill. Long west elevation: 17 bays; 2-bay wide factory entrance off-centre left with gatehouse and wrought-iron gates recessed behind pilastered fascia; main pedestrian entrance in adjoining bay, wide, panelled 2-leaf door with large fanlight in convex reveals. Cornice with blocking course, across front elevation. All bays similarly detailed, 3/4 glazed over back infill panels, continues for 1 bay of return elevations - all other wallheads finished with continuous iron handrails; plain parapet over 2 entrances; flat roof. 2 storey brick-built range recessed at left, plain 3-storey 6-bay block beyond also with reinforced concrete frame; asymmetrical north elevation. Long south elevation has 4-storey block, flanked by 3-storey ranges with tall elevator towers at either end.

Set behind low quadrant walls with plain iron railings.

Statement of Interest

Said to be the first ferro-concrete car factory built in Britain. The Company made aero engines during 1st war but was liquidated in 1929. Additions 1924 by Kerr & Watson. Original contractors S & T Stevenson of Glasgow.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.