This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.2797 / 55°16'46"N
Longitude: -3.797 / 3°47'49"W
OS Eastings: 285950
OS Northings: 599867
OS Grid: NX859998
Mapcode National: GBR 17XD.R5
Mapcode Global: WH5VG.NK3C
Entry Name: Drumlanrig Bridge (Drumlanrig Castle East Approach over River Nith
Listing Date: 3 August 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335054
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3887
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Mid and Upper Nithsdale
Traditional County: Dumfriesshire
Probably late medieval, but altered. Roadbridge; 2 segmental
arches high above River Nith. Repaired (east side of central
pier and "ledges") March-August 1710 by William Lukup, mason,
Thornhill; further repairs 1747. Roadway widened on
continuous corbel tables 1860 by Charles Howitt of Drumlanrig
estate, parapets, spandrels and wide approaches also built
then. Pink ashlar. Narrow arches on wide abutments and
massive central pier, latter with pointed cutwater either
side splayed below parapet; coped parapets; flat roadway.
Cast-iron lion mask drainage spouts on south end of west
Rae (writing circa 1740) says that Lukup agreed to repair the
bridge in 1708, but the accounts are dated 1710; the repairs
were necessitated by the timber foundations of that part
having been washed away some 40 years earlier - Duke William
had proposed a new bridge (by Robert Mylne) at the end of
Drumlanrig north avenue and had refused to repair this
bridge. Rae also considered this bridge "may well be
...amongst the monuments of antiquity.....". Shown on view by
John Clerk of Eldin, circa 1760.
Commissioners of Supply agreed (1823) to fund a bridge at
Glenarlie on condition that the Duke of Buccleuch
"pledge..... to free the county of the expense of rebuilding
or repairing the bridge at Drumlanrig for all time....."; in
1850, the commissioners declared it no longer useful or
necessary ......... abandoned". Robert Grierson, Edinburgh,
supplied iron for the bridge (bill 30.5.1710) presumably for
the "in-band clasps" Lukup used.
1860 work exposed upper face of arches, which resembled
"well-worn steps". B group with Drumlanrig Bridge Cottage.
Other nearby listed buildings