This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0586 / 56°3'30"N
Longitude: -4.455 / 4°27'18"W
OS Eastings: 247229
OS Northings: 687798
OS Grid: NS472877
Mapcode National: GBR 0R.Q74Y
Mapcode Global: WH3N0.JZS9
Entry Name: Buchanan Castle, East Lodge and Entrance Gateway
Listing Date: 5 October 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335076
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3899
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
William Henry Playfair, early 19th century with later additions and alterations. Single-storey with attic inserted to rear (N); former rectangular-plan lodge, converted to L-plan by later additions to rear and W. Classical symmetrical design with doorcase incorporating abstracted entablature with triglyphs to principal elevation (S); round-arched openings to original block; piended roof with deep overhanging eaves. Coursed dressed sandstone with painted ashlar dressings to original block; partially painted coursed rubble extension to rear; rendered extension to W. Architraved openings to original block; base course; painted vertical margins at arrises; droved quoins and long and short surrounds.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central entrance with deep projecting architrave; abstracted entablature with band course and raised corniced frieze at centre incorporating 2 triglyphs; replacement panelled timber door. Flanking windows.
E ELEVATION: 2 regularly disposed windows to original block.
N ELEVATION: 20th century boxed dormer to orignal block; lean-to addition projects below adjoining later glazed lean-to addition to right; further single bay addition adjoins set back to outer right.
W ELEVATION: rendered single bay addition projects to left; painted base course, vertical margins and round-arched window to right return.
Grey slate piended roofs; piended to original block (almost pavilion type) and W addition. 13-pane timber sash and case windows with splayed astragals to original block. Coped rendered central ridge stack; round cans.
INTERIOR: not inspected (1999).
ENTRANCE GATEWAY: pair of rectangular-plan coursed droved sandstone piers painted white; and flanking outer pair of lower height piers (to pedestrian entrances) also painted white; all with base courses (those to main piers stugged) and pyramid coping; cast-iron gates with spiked railings (pair to centre). Flanking swept wing walls; coursed droved sandstone with rounded coping; terminating at lower-height piers.
A handsome classical lodge by the young William Henry Playfair (1790-1847), an important Edinburgh-based Greek Revival architect. The original block and gateway appear on the 1865 OS map. The later additions have been carefully tucked away to the rear. The Buchanan estate came into the possession of the Montrose family in the late 17th century and subsequently became its chief place of residence. Construction work was undertaken on the main house and its associated buildings throughout much of the 18th century and the first half of the 19th century. The remains of the 'old house' of 1724 still remain, as does the ruinous 'castle' of 1854 by William Burn, that replaced it. A circular-plan icehouse and Buchanan High Mains, both on the estate, may also be by Playfair, whose father, the architect, James Playfair, worked there in the 1780's, altering the main house. See separate list descriptions for Buchanan Old House, Buchanan Castle, its Stables and Icehouse and Buchanan High Mains (all listed under Buchanan parish).
Other nearby listed buildings