History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Drymen Bridge (Over Endrick Water)

A Category B Listed Building in Drymen, Stirling

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0553 / 56°3'19"N

Longitude: -4.4537 / 4°27'13"W

OS Eastings: 247297

OS Northings: 687436

OS Grid: NS472874

Mapcode National: GBR 0R.QFFR

Mapcode Global: WH3N6.K2D7

Entry Name: Drymen Bridge (Over Endrick Water)

Listing Date: 5 September 1973

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 335077

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3900

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Drymen

County: Stirling

Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick

Parish: Drymen

Traditional County: Stirlingshire

Find accommodation in
Drymen

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Probably 1765; widend and reconstructed 1929. Symmetrical 5-span road bridge with regularly-spaced segmental-headed arches. Coursed rock-faced sandstone with sandstone ashlar dressings; reconstructed concrete substructure visible to soffits. Ashlar voussoirs, arch rings and band course supported on regularly spaced dentil-like projecting blocks. Impost bands to arches. Squared coping chamfered at edges to parapet. Semicircular-plan turret projections to both central piers (on both sides); rounded cutwaters at base. Wings terminate at circular-plan piers.

Statement of Interest

Described as 'very handsome' in the New Statistical Account (1841, published 1845). The same source also gives its date of construction as 1765. It appears in identical plan-form (with 2 central cutwater piers) on the 1865 OS map and in a late 19th century photograph in Guthrie Smith's book. It was built along the turnpike road (established as a military road after 1745) from Glasgow to Dumbarton. The high quality of its design and execution might in part be owing to its close proximity to the main entrance to the Buchanan estate, principal seat of the Dukes of Montrose during the 18th and 19th centuries (as well as to its situation along a military/turnpike road). Considerable amounts of building work were being carried out on the estate throughout much of the 18th century. According to Scottish Country Life (1929) 'this beautiful stone viaduct replaces the high and narrow old bridge'.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.