This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0528 / 56°3'10"N
Longitude: -4.4368 / 4°26'12"W
OS Eastings: 248339
OS Northings: 687114
OS Grid: NS483871
Mapcode National: GBR 0R.QR70
Mapcode Global: WH3N6.T4F6
Entry Name: Park of Drumquhassle, Dovecot to North
Listing Date: 5 September 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335079
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3902
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Dated 1711. Rectangular-plan lectern dovecot. Grey slate crowstepped lean-to roof; upper crowstep continued out from ridge and corniced with ball finials at ends. Coursed sandstone rubble with sandstone ashlar dressings. Mid-height stone rat course; eaves cornice to principal (S) elevation continued as rat ledge to remaining elevations. Flush architraves to openings.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central entrance with timber door; lintel dated '1711'. Window with chamfered reveals above. Row of 3 entrance holes set just above rat course below.
N, W and E ELEVATIONS: blank.
Grey slate roof with double entrance hole with catslide roof to centre.
INTERIOR: contains brick nesting boxes. Restored timber potence with central revolving pole turning on stone pedestal.
B-Group with Park of Drumquhassle and Sundial to SE of House. A fine dated example of an early 18th century dovecot. When the RCAHMS inspected it in 1960 it had 5 stone ball finials along the wallhead; it now retains only 2. It was constructed by William Govane and his wife Katherine Edmonstone in the year after they erected the sundial. There appears to have been a substantial residence on the site since at least the mid-later 16th century, when 'Drumquhassle Castle' was cited as the 'principal messuage' of the newly created barony of Drumquhassle. The house was rebuilt in 1839 by Robert Govane. The estate belonged to the Govanes for over 200 years from about the late 17th century until the 1910's when it was purchased by the family of the present (1999) occupant. See separate descriptions for the House and Sundial.
Other nearby listed buildings