History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Park of Drumquhassle, Sundial to South East of House

A Category B Listed Building in Drymen, Stirling

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0509 / 56°3'3"N

Longitude: -4.4376 / 4°26'15"W

OS Eastings: 248280

OS Northings: 686903

OS Grid: NS482869

Mapcode National: GBR 0R.QYW3

Mapcode Global: WH3N6.T50N

Entry Name: Park of Drumquhassle, Sundial to South East of House

Listing Date: 5 September 1973

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 335080

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3903

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Drymen

County: Stirling

Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick

Parish: Drymen

Traditional County: Stirlingshire

Find accommodation in
Drymen

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Dated 1710. Sandstone ashlar columnar sundial with horizontal copper dial. Moulded base to column; moulded capital at apex; surmounted by corniced square-plan dial base. Octagonal dial inscribed 'Guhellmus Govane de Drumquhassle fecit' ('made by William Govane of Drumquhassle') and 'W.G. 1710' and 'K.E. 1710'. Much astrological information also given. Decorative pointer inscribed with 3 lines of Latin verse on each side.

Statement of Interest

B-Group with Park of Drumquhassle and Dovecot to N of house. A fine intact early 18th century columnar sundial. The dial is fairly lavishly inscribed. The initials 'W.G.' would appear to refer to William Govane and 'K.E.' to his wife, Katherine Edmonstone (they also constructed the dovecot in the following year). The lines of Latin verse along the pointer read as follows: 'Vita brevis, velut umbra levis, sic annichilatur/Hora fluit, nec morari potest/... Memor ...sibi(?) cura(?)./ Nam vadit subitoque cadit, dum stare putatur/Tempus ruit nec revocari potest/(Ex) hoc momento.. aeternita(s)' (Stevenson). There appears to have been a substantial residence on the site since at least the mid-later 16th century, when 'Drumquhassle Castle' was cited as the 'principal messuage' of the newly created barony of Drumquhassle. The house was rebuilt in 1839 by Robert Govane. The estate belonged to the Govanes for over 200 years from about the late 17th century until the 1910's when it was purchased by the family of the present (1999) occupant.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.