History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wallacehall Assessment Centre (Former Academy and Schoolhouse)

A Category A Listed Building in Closeburn, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.2137 / 55°12'49"N

Longitude: -3.7264 / 3°43'35"W

OS Eastings: 290251

OS Northings: 592409

OS Grid: NX902924

Mapcode National: GBR 28F4.1V

Mapcode Global: WH5VW.Q6QY

Entry Name: Wallacehall Assessment Centre (Former Academy and Schoolhouse)

Listing Date: 3 August 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 335129

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB3953

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Closeburn

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Mid and Upper Nithsdale

Parish: Closeburn

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Find accommodation in
Closeburn

Description

1795 (dated) 3-storey, 3-bay schoolhouse with L-plan rear
(east) wing; latter consists of 1724-9 school and former
schoolhouse by William Luckup and John Crocket, altered by
Walter Newall, 1842, extensions circa 1777 and 1882 (dated).
1795 HOUSE: coursed squared rubble with contrasting red
ashlar dressings; symmetrical west elevation: central door
architrave and half-pilastered doorcase (fluted and inscribed
frieze); eaves course; cornice; coped end stacks; piended
slate roof. Interior: some decorative cornice plasterwork;
arched recess in south west ground floor room with Corinthian
pilasters. REAR WING: rubble built with red ashlar dressings.
2-storey original schoolhouse (mullioned windows with
latticed glazing inserted by Newall) extended to west (ie
nearest present house) circa 1777; stair turret off-centre on
south wall with crow-stepped gable (incorporating original
inscription panel) also by Newall; original schoolroom to
east (set at right angles to house) extended to south 1882 to
provide gymnasium. Original interiors gutted. Slate roofs.
Partly enclosed by ashlar-coped rubble-built walls; corniced
circular gatepiers to south of 1795 house.

Statement of Interest

School endowed 1723 by John Wallace of Closeburn and of

Glasgow, merchant; 1795 house endowed by Robert Mundell,

master at Wallacehall.

A group with Closeburn Churches & School

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.