History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Closeburn Church and Gatepiers

A Category B Listed Building in Closeburn, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.2125 / 55°12'45"N

Longitude: -3.7245 / 3°43'28"W

OS Eastings: 290370

OS Northings: 592277

OS Grid: NX903922

Mapcode National: GBR 28F5.G8

Mapcode Global: WH5VW.R7MV

Entry Name: Closeburn Church and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 3 August 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 335183

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4007

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Closeburn

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Mid and Upper Nithsdale

Parish: Closeburn

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Find accommodation in
Closeburn

Description

James Barbour of Dumfries, architect. Built 1878. Cruciform-

plan Gothic church with tall 3-stage square tower at north

west. Bull-faced and snecked red ashlar with polished

dressings. Tower: has west-facing doorway under gabled head;

2-leaf panelled door, traceried fanlight and moulded reveals; hood-moulded slit openings to 2nd tower stage; top stage

has traceried open paired lights to each face recessed in

pointed panel, latter on shafted jambs; open worked parapet;

angles buttressed, set-off and gabletted at each tower stage;

gargoyles and gabletted and crocketted pinnacles above

angles. Body of Church: windows are mostly hoodmoulded and

pointed, with distinctive cusped geometric tracery; 2-bay

nave; large gable windows to nave and transepts; east rose

window. Continuous string at cill level. Buttresses at angles

and dividing bays; saw-toothed skews; roofed with graded

slates and red ridge tiles. Flat-roofed organ chamber and

gabled vestry in re-entrant angles at east (former by

Barbour, 1912). Interior: elaborate hammer-beam roof on

carved stone corbels, with some cusped decoration to

timberwork. Dado panelling, cusped at east end; reredos;

octagonal pulpit. Some leaded glass windows (one signed St

Enoch Glass Studios, Glasgow 1948). Set behind simple cast-

iron railings with gabletted square gatepiers; churchyard and old

church to north listed separately.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. A group with

Closeburn School and Wallacehall

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.