History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Closeburn Old Church, Kirkpatrick of Closeburn Mausoleum and Churchyard Enclosure

A Category B Listed Building in Closeburn, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.2129 / 55°12'46"N

Longitude: -3.7244 / 3°43'27"W

OS Eastings: 290375

OS Northings: 592318

OS Grid: NX903923

Mapcode National: GBR 28F5.G4

Mapcode Global: WH5VW.R7NK

Entry Name: Closeburn Old Church, Kirkpatrick of Closeburn Mausoleum and Churchyard Enclosure

Listing Date: 3 August 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 335184

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4008

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Closeburn

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Mid and Upper Nithsdale

Parish: Closeburn

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Find accommodation in
Closeburn

Description

Church rebuilt 1741, incorporating earlier fabric, but now

only roofless fragments remain, viz. entire east gable with

bellcote, eastmost bay of side walls, and fragment of north

jam. Coursed and squared rubble with polished dressings.

Central door in gable and windows in side walls all round-

headed, with pilastered jambs, moulded arches and keystones;

oculus in gable head. Straight skews; plain bird-cage bellcote

with ball-finialed ogee roof still houses 1606 bell.

Fragments of eaves course and moulded cornice. 1742

Kirkpatrick of Closeburn Classical trabeated mausoleum at

south east end of old church; red ashlar, rusticated pilaster

strips, elaborate north-facing pedimented doorpiece, 3-bay

long walls with basket-arched openings and cornice. Some

interesting 17th-19th century stone monuments.

Churchyard extended to east; ashlar-coped rubble-built

walls; corniced, square, rusticated red ashlar gatepiers with ball-finialed ogee caps, and small shelters built behind

each.

Statement of Interest

Church abandoned in 1878 when new church was built; last

service held 28.4.1878. Bell is described in inventory.

Doorway of Kirkpatrick mausoleum comparable with Ross Mains

and Craigdarroch doorways (these dated 1728 and 1729

respectively).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.