This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2465 / 56°14'47"N
Longitude: -4.2461 / 4°14'46"W
OS Eastings: 260914
OS Northings: 708262
OS Grid: NN609082
Mapcode National: GBR 10.BD2F
Mapcode Global: WH3MB.R877
Entry Name: Kilmahog Graveyard Including Mort House
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335198
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4020
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Graveyard situated on the site of a mid 13th century chapel. Probably late 18th century boundary walls arranged in a quadrilateral-plan with a gabled portal and a 19th century Mort House. The graveyard is situated on a piece of raised ground in open land between the A84 road and the Garbh Usige River.
The graveyard is entered through a large shouldered gabled portal with a semi-circular archway, there is a small round-arched opening in the gable apex with a bell. Nearby to the entrance is a rectangular-plan single-storey Mort House incorporated into the boundary wall, its blank NE face is set slightly advanced of the boundary wall. The entrance to the Mort House is located within the enclosure to the NW gable with a partially blocked window facing across the enclosure to the SW.
To the centre of the ground is a metal plaque marking the site of the former chapel, the footprint of the foundations are now indiscernible, (2004).
The boundary wall is breached in a couple of sections to the SW, (2004).
On the ground there are a number of moss covered lying slabs, their date is difficult to ascertain however some appear to be 17th century. There are a number of pedimented and arch-topped gravestones dating from the late 18th century and early 19th century, various other 19th century grave markers are located throughout the burial ground. A particularly impressive monument in the graveyard is that of the Macfarlan Monument located close to the NW wall. Erected in 1851 to the memory of William Macfarlan of Bencloich, Stirlingshire, Luggiebank and Dumbartonshire. It is composed of a central sandstone wall with a block pediment carrying an urn with radiating railings attached to a pair of flanking corniced piers.
Random rubble to boundary walls. Squared rubble in parts to gabled portal with ashlar copes to gable apex, cast iron gates. Random rubble to Mort House with boarded timber door and grey slate pitched roof.
Formerly listed at Category B, re-graded to Category C(S) at time of resurvey, (2004) to reflect consistently with other local listed burial grounds. Information recorded by the Royal Commission indicates that there is some uncertainty as to who the original church was dedicated to - suggestions range from St. Kessog, St. Mahog, St. Cuaca and St. Chug. Local tradition explains the name Kilmahog to mean the chapel of St Chug. On a firmer note it is fairly sure that the chapel was in existence by the mid 13th century as it is first mentioned in Papal registers in 1259. It is interesting to note that the Etterick shepherd, James Hogg, wrote in 1803 'a paltry village' you may guess that I was glad at getting safely past this village, for its name signifies the burial place of Hogg' [McKean]. The bell which hangs in the entrance gable is reputed to be 15th century and bear the arms of the Graham family [NMRS].