This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7682 / 55°46'5"N
Longitude: -2.3525 / 2°21'8"W
OS Eastings: 377981
OS Northings: 652815
OS Grid: NT779528
Mapcode National: GBR D10R.H3
Mapcode Global: WH8X7.T8YW
Entry Name: Grueldykes with Cottage, Garage, Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 9 June 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335208
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4028
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Mid Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Later 18th century (possibly earlier, see Notes). 3-storey, 4-bay rubble with broad-droved ashlar dressings house, with rubble side elevations and harled N (rear) elevation with ashlar dressings. Eaves course.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 9-field-panelled door with Doric-columned and pedimented ashlar porch to centre, left of windows at 1st and 2nd floor above in bay to inner right. Bays to left in compressed spacing. Windows to each floor and each bay smaller at 2nd floor. Later rubble wall formerly with single storey addition to N.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: irregularly disposed windows; stair window left of centre.
12-pane timber sash and case windows. Slate roof with coped skews and ridge; brick gablehead stacks.
INTERIOR: not seen, 1995.
COTTAGE: single storey; to E of entrance, N of house; later alterations and additions. Rubble, except harled W elevation with ashlar dressings. 4-bay to W elevation; windows to each bay except modern glazed door and window to left, bay to outer right. Modern conservatory to S. Piended slate roof with coped skew between bays to inner and outer right (indicating bay to outer right is a later addition); skylight in bay to inner right. Interior not seen, 1995.
GARAGE: rubble single storey building (possibly formerly a stable), with later alterations. Modern boarded double door in bay to outer left of E elevation, with modern concrete lintel. Door in bay to left (boarded stable door). Slate roof with coped skews.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: rubble with coping; pyramidal coping to gatepiers.
"Grueldycks" first appears in 1654, and the name continues to appear on all the maps. The 1857 map is clearer than any of the previous maps and shows the auxiliary buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings