History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Abb's Head, Lighthouse Including Foghorn, Foghorn Engine House, Boundary Walls and Stair

A Category B Listed Building in Coldingham, Scottish Borders

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9164 / 55°54'59"N

Longitude: -2.1384 / 2°8'18"W

OS Eastings: 391448

OS Northings: 669268

OS Grid: NT914692

Mapcode National: GBR F0H0.VZ

Mapcode Global: WH9XQ.3KZ7

Entry Name: St Abb's Head, Lighthouse Including Foghorn, Foghorn Engine House, Boundary Walls and Stair

Listing Date: 9 June 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 335315

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4103

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Coldingham

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire

Parish: Coldingham

Traditional County: Berwickshire

Find accommodation in
Saint Abbs

Description

David and Thomas Stevenson, opened 1862 with later additions and alterations.

LIGHTHOUSE: major but diminutive light comprising circular-plan, triangular-paned lantern with finialled, hemispherical cap on squat single storey, whitewashed base of interlocking square and circle, with painted coping. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

FOGHORN: separate single storey, semicircular-plan block to N with surmounting foghorn.

FOGHORN ENGINE HOUSE: single storey, rectangular-plan engine house to SW. Whitewashed harl; bull-faced sandstone dressings (painted in part). SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: segmental-arched doorway off-set to right. SE AND NW (SIDE) ELEVATIONS: segmental-arched windows in both bays. Doorway in gabled addition to right and single window in gabled addition to left respectively. 8-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Flat roof. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND STAIR: rubble-coped, whitewashed rubble, semicircular boundary wall to W of light. Steep stair to SW with rubble-coped, whitewashed rubble walls to sides; 2-leaf pedestrian gate.

Statement of Interest

B Group comprises 'St Abb's Head, Lighthouse' and 'St Abb's Head, Lightkeeper's Cottage, Lighthouse Retreat & Keeper's Hold' - see separate list entry. Although now in separate ownership, both the lighthouse and the cottages once associated with it form a significant group, prominently set on St Abb's Head (a nature reserve). Commissioned by the Northern Lighthouse Board, the lighthouse was opened on 24th February 1862 and, now automated, is still in use 1999.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.