This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6849 / 55°41'5"N
Longitude: -2.328 / 2°19'40"W
OS Eastings: 379477
OS Northings: 643535
OS Grid: NT794435
Mapcode National: GBR D25P.SZ
Mapcode Global: WH8XN.6CQR
Entry Name: Belchester Including Terraced Garden, Sundial, Garden Railings, Gatepiers and Gate
Listing Date: 9 June 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335340
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4113
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Mid Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
18th century incorporating earlier fabric (peel tower) with later additions and alterations; rear service wing removed late 20th century. Asymmetrical, plain classical house comprising 2-storey, 4-bay, rectangular-plan entrance wing with classically detailed porch; taller, gabled wing set at right angles to SE forming L-plan; lower 2 storey range at rear enclosing courtyard; single storey ancillary structure adjoined to NW. Harl-pointed tooled cream sandstone rubble (squared and snecked to later wings); sandstone ashlar dressings (droved in part). Raised base course to SE wing; moulded eaves course to entrance wing. Narrow quoin strips in part; tooled rubble quoins to remainder; long and short rubble surrounds to openings; raised margins; projecting cills.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 4-bay entrance wing with projecting flat-roofed porch off-set to right of centre comprising timber panelled door, flanking pilasters, corniced eaves, blocking course; single window aligned at 1st floor. Single windows at both floors in bay to right. Single window at 1st floor in bay to left; single window at ground off-set to left. Small opening at ground in subsequent bay to left; single window aligned at 1st floor. Gabled wing to outer right with 2-leaf glazed door centred at ground; 3-pane fanlight; single window aligned at 1st floor; sandstone finial surmounting gablehead. Single storey ancillary structure adjoined to outer left with single window in bay to right; single window in gabled bay to left.
SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: 4-bay. Regularly spaced single windows at ground in all bays; gabled windows breaking eaves above.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: 5-bay. Part-glazed timber door off-set to right of centre; single window at 1st floor. Bipartite window at ground in bay to left; single window at 1st floor. Gabled wing to outer left with single windows at both floors; sandstone finial surmounting gablehead. Gabled wing to right with narrow lights at both floors in bay to left; bipartite window at ground in bay to outer right; single window above; sandstone finial surmounting gablehead. Single storey ancillary structure recessed to outer right with timber door in bay to left; boarded timber garage doors to right.
NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: 4-bay. Part-glazed timber panelled door off-set to left of centre; bipartite window at 1st floor. Single window at ground in bay to outer left; bipartite window at 1st floor. Part-glazed timber door in bay off-set to right of centre; single window above. Gabled wing to outer right with projecting single storey ancillary structure adjoined at ground.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; modern skylights. Grey slate roofs; stone coped skews; iron rainwater goods. Corniced sandstone ridge and apex stacks; various circular cans.
INTERIOR: elliptical dome and fanlight in hall. Timber panelled vestibule; fireplace with carved lovers' knots and duelling pistols; 1st floor balcony. Timber panelled doors to remaining rooms; decorative plaster cornices; various fireplaces; stair with carved timber treads, barley-twist uprights, timber handrail, panelled walls.
TERRACED GARDEN, SUNDIAL, GARDEN RAILINGS, GATEPIERS AND GATE: terraced garden to SE with coped rubble sandstone wall; stone stair. Sandstone sundial with octagonal base and table; stop-chamfered, square-plan shaft; metal dial and gnomon in place. Plain iron railings enclosing site in part; ball-finialled iron gatepiers; iron pedestrian gate.
B Group comprises Belchester house, the Lodge, Stable Block and Walled Garden (see separate list entries). The house is said to incorporate earlier fabric (probably a peel tower) - the site having been home to the Dickson family since the 14th century. Its piecemeal development makes it difficult to date, but by the early 19th century, it appears to have been U-shaped, with 2 arms facing S. A new wing was built across the opening in the 1830s, thereby enclosing the courtyard which was subsequently roofed over. Around this time, a service wing was added to the NE corner and the W elevation was turned into the entrance front and given a new porch. The HBC Report suggests these substantial alterations may have been by William Burn, as it was he who designed the nearby Anton's Hill House for Matthew Hunter (a relation of the Dicksons) in 1836 - see separate list entry. A photograph dated 1875 and held in the NMRS shows the house virtually as it is today, with the exception of the 2-storey service wing adjoined at rear, forming a near L-plan. A sketch, also held in the NMRS, shows this wing was linked to the house by a conical-capped stair tower set in the rear re-entrant angle. Both the service wing and its linking tower have since been demolished. Rutherfurd notes a John Gordon Esq of Cluny as owner and occasional occupant of Belchester in 1866. The quadrant walls, piers, gatepiers and gates flanking the main entrance to the SW are listed with the gate lodge.
Other nearby listed buildings