History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Glen Ogle, Bridge on A85 Glen Ogle, Bridge over Ogle Burn on Former Military Road 1km North of Glenogle Farm

A Category C Listed Building in Balquhidder, Stirling

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.3986 / 56°23'54"N

Longitude: -4.2977 / 4°17'51"W

OS Eastings: 258284

OS Northings: 725294

OS Grid: NN582252

Mapcode National: GBR 0Y.0SK2

Mapcode Global: WH3LJ.YFNM

Entry Name: Glen Ogle, Bridge on A85 Glen Ogle, Bridge over Ogle Burn on Former Military Road 1km North of Glenogle Farm

Listing Date: 6 September 1979

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 335364

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4135

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Balquhidder

County: Stirling

Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith

Parish: Balquhidder

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Lochearnhead

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Circa 1750. Single segmental-arched bridge. Rubble arch set between rubble abutments with no parapet. A good and unaltered example of a mid 18th century road bridge, built as part of the original military road from Stirling to Fort William and therefore of considerable historical importance.

Statement of Interest

The largest of three surviving rubble bridges on the line of the original military road through Glen Ogle. This bridge crosses the Ogle Burn about 1km North of Glenogle Farm and about 100 yards North of the A85 bridge over the Allt an Sput Dhuibh.

The road through Glen Ogle was built as a part of a military road from Stirling to Fort William by General Caulfield in 1750-52, as part of the improvements carried out in the Highlands following the Jacobite uprisings. The road through Glen Ogle seems to have been constructed hastily along the bottom of the valley, crossing the Ogle Burn several times (see General Roy's map of c.1750), and was never considered to be very satisfactory as it is too low and boggy in places. At some point in the late 18th or early 19th century, the line of the road was re-drawn to that now occupied by the A85 (see list descriptions for bridges on A85 for further details). The old military road is now used as a footpath.

This bridge is one of three rubble bridges that survive on the line of the original road. It appears to be in a relatively good condition. One of the other bridges is listed separately.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.