History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Glen Ogle, Bridge on A85

A Category C Listed Building in Balquhidder, Stirling

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.4074 / 56°24'26"N

Longitude: -4.3081 / 4°18'29"W

OS Eastings: 257675

OS Northings: 726296

OS Grid: NN576262

Mapcode National: GBR 0X.0B4T

Mapcode Global: WH3LJ.S6QV

Entry Name: Glen Ogle, Bridge on A85

Listing Date: 6 September 1979

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 335366

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4137

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Balquhidder

County: Stirling

Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith

Parish: Balquhidder

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Lochearnhead

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Circa 1798. Single round-arched bridge with tall, narrow arch set between broad, slightly battered abutments; string course at base of parapet. The ends of the parapet curve down to the ground. The bed of the stream is roughly paved under the arch. A good and unaltered example of a late 18th century road bridge, built as part of the improvements to the Military Road from Stirling to Fort William and therefore of considerable historical importance.

Materials: squared, coursed masonry.

Statement of Interest

One of five similar bridges on the A85 through Glen Ogle. This bridge is the third after Lochearnhead, and is located opposite the Railway viaduct, very close to the landslide that occurred in summer 2004.

The road through Glen Ogle was built as a part of a military road from Stirling to Fort William by General Caulfield in 1750-52, although Glen Ogle was almost certainly a drove route prior to then. The road through Glen Ogle seems to have been constructed hastily along the bottom of the valley, crossing the Ogle Burn several times (see General Roy's map of c.1750), and was never considered to be very satisfactory as it is too low and boggy in places. At some point in the late 18th or early 19th century, the line of the road was re-drawn to the present position. This bridge and 4 other similar ones were constructed as part of this scheme. The Old Statistical Account mentions that a new line for the Stirling to Fort William Road was approved in 1793 and this probably (but not certainly) refers to the Glen Ogle Section. The sixth report of the Highland Roads and Bridges (1798) also mentions proposals for work on this stretch of road, so work may have been delayed until then.

The old military road still survives (in parts), and is used as a footpath. Four 18th century rubble-built bridges on this old road survive and are listed separately.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.