History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Glen Ogle Viaduct

A Category B Listed Building in Balquhidder, Stirling

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.4151 / 56°24'54"N

Longitude: -4.3296 / 4°19'46"W

OS Eastings: 256380

OS Northings: 727200

OS Grid: NN563272

Mapcode National: GBR HCPR.MJ2

Mapcode Global: WH3LJ.G0JX

Entry Name: Glen Ogle Viaduct

Listing Date: 5 October 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 335370

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4141

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Balquhidder

County: Stirling

Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith

Parish: Balquhidder

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Lochearnhead

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

John Strain, circa 1866. 12-segmental arch viaduct, with sturdy tapered piers, set across mountain side. Bull-faced, coursed masonry. Occupies dramatic location on W side of Glen Ogle.

Statement of Interest

Situated in the Northern half of Glen Ogle, running parallel to Creag Na h-Iolaire. The first meeting of the Committee of the Callander and Oban Line was held in 1864 and royal assent was given for its construction in 1865. In 1866 the contract for the section of line running through Glen Ogle was given to the contractor John McKay of Ann Street, Edinburgh. Various drawings, dated 1866, are held in the National Archives of Scotland (NAS) for bridges on this line. Amongst these papers is a design for a viaduct (RHP120173), but it is for one of 20 arches and therefore not the final design for the present viaduct. The plans are signed by the contractor and the engineer, but unfortunately the name of the latter is illegible. Gordon Biddle states that John Strain was the engineer. Confusingly, the Callander and Oban Railway is shown on the First Edition OS map, which was surveyed in 1862 and published in 1867. It seems likely that the map must have been updated shortly before it was published. The line was opened in 1870.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.