History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Glen Ogle, Bridge over Ogle Burn on Former Military Road Near Parish Boundary

A Category C Listed Building in Balquhidder, Stirling

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.4169 / 56°25'0"N

Longitude: -4.329 / 4°19'44"W

OS Eastings: 256423

OS Northings: 727392

OS Grid: NN564273

Mapcode National: GBR HCPR.FT4

Mapcode Global: WH3LB.GZT4

Entry Name: Glen Ogle, Bridge over Ogle Burn on Former Military Road Near Parish Boundary

Listing Date: 5 October 1971

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 335371

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4142

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Balquhidder

County: Stirling

Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith

Parish: Balquhidder

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Lochearnhead

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Circa 1750. Single segmental-arched bridge, set relatively high above the water. Rubble arch set between rubble abutments with no parapet. A good and unaltered example of a mid 18th century road bridge, built as part of the original military road from Stirling to Fort William and therefore of considerable historical importance.

Statement of Interest

One of three rubble bridges on the line of the original military road through Glen Ogle. This bridge is near to the Parish boundary at the Northern end of Glen Ogle and is located a few yards below a stone embankment wall on the A84. The lie of the land makes it quite hard to see from a distance.

The road through Glen Ogle was built as a part of a military road from Stirling to Fort William by General Caulfield in 1750-52, as part of the improvements carried out in the Highlands following the Jacobite uprisings. The road through Glen Ogle seems to have been constructed hastily along the bottom of the valley, crossing the Ogle Burn several times (see General Roy's map of c.1750), and was never considered to be very satisfactory as it is too low and boggy in places. At some point in the late 18th or early 19th century, the line of the road was re-drawn to that now occupied by the A84 (see list descriptions for bridges on A84 for further details). The old military road is now used as a footpath.

This bridge is one of three rubble bridges that survive on the line of the original road. It appears to be in a relatively good condition. One of the other bridges is listed separately, as is another, smaller, bridge that provides an alternative route and crosses the same burn a 100 yards or so downstream.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.