This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6972 / 55°41'49"N
Longitude: -2.3819 / 2°22'54"W
OS Eastings: 376092
OS Northings: 644923
OS Grid: NT760449
Mapcode National: GBR C2TK.3K
Mapcode Global: WH8XM.C2Z9
Entry Name: Purves Hall (Tower)
Listing Date: 9 June 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335372
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4144
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Mid Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Former peel tower (possibly 16th century) with substantial 17th and 18th century additions and alterations. 3-storey, 3- by 2-bay, rectangular-plan tower with 3-storey, gabled addition at rear; later additions removed. Harl-pointed sandstone and whinstone rubble; sandstone ashlar dressings. Predominantly red and cream sandstone rubble quoins; strip quoins to E; raised margins in part (architraved at 1st floor to entrance elevation); projecting cills.
SE (FRONT) ELEVATION: part-glazed timber panelled door centred at ground; single windows at both floors above; single windows at all floors in flanking bays.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: original block with steps to part-glazed timber panelled door at 1st floor off-set to left of centre; small window aligned above. Square-headed opening (infilled doorway) at ground off-set to right of centre; single window at ground in subsequent bay to right. Full-height, 2-bay wing slightly advanced to outer right with single windows in both bays at 1st and 2nd floors.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: gabled wing with timber panelled door at ground off-set to left of centre; lintel inscribed "S AP 1790"; small single window in bay to outer left. Single windows at 1st and 2nd floors in bay to outer left; blocked windows at both floors in bay to outer right.
SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: original 2-bay block with part-blocked opening at ground in bay to left; single windows in both bays at 1st and 2nd floors; small, blocked opening in gablehead. 3-bay wing adjoined to left with deep-recessed, part-glazed timber panelled door in bay to right; single window set between buttresses centred at ground. Venetian window centred at 1st floor (sidelights partly blocked); single windows in all bays at 2nd floor.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roofs; crowstepped skews to original block; stone coped skews to later wing. Iron rainwater goods. Corniced red brick apex stacks; various circular cans.
INTERIOR: predominantly exposed rubble walls at ground; various fireplaces including large square-headed and segmental-arched openings. Dog-leg stair replaces spiral (the bowed walls of which remain in part). Part painted timber panelled 1st floor reception room with dentilled cornice; panelled shutters; timber fireplace with egg-and-dart inner banding, barley twist outer columns, corniced frieze with triglyphs and metopes. Simpler upper floor with boarded timber doors.
At one time home to the Purves family, who, according the STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, were founded "...early in the seventeenth century." In 1738, when in possession of William Purves, the house was modernised - windows being made larger and various alterations carried out within. The rear wing, dated 1790, was commissioned by Alexander Purves - hence 'AP' on the lintel. Some additions, including that to the NE, have been demolished, leaving various rubble projections in the walls. The 1858 Ordnance Survey map shows this addition still in place, with a central perron-style stair. A classically-detailed, bipartite window frame, today set into the SW elevation of the nearby Purves Hall (House), is dated 1675 and may have come from this demolished wing. Still occupied as a single dwelling, Purves Hall (Tower) retains some interesting features - the crowstepped gables, architraved margins and timber sash and case windows being amongst the most notable. Inside, the panelled 1st floor reception room (possibly 1738) and assorted fireplaces are particularly interesting. "...long the seat of the Purves family", Rutherfurd notes a Col John Home Purves as the proprietor of the house in 1866. The house is set in the S corner of a walled garden part owned by Purves Hall (House). Both the garden and this later house are listed separately.
Other nearby listed buildings