History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Monteath Douglas Mausoleum

A Category B Listed Building in Ancrum, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.5337 / 55°32'1"N

Longitude: -2.6151 / 2°36'54"W

OS Eastings: 361275

OS Northings: 626830

OS Grid: NT612268

Mapcode National: GBR B45G.M5

Mapcode Global: WH8Y8.S5XN

Entry Name: Monteath Douglas Mausoleum

Listing Date: 7 November 2007

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 335403

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4175

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Ancrum

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Jedburgh and District

Parish: Ancrum

Traditional County: Roxburghshire

Find accommodation in
Maxton

Description

Peddie & Kinnear, 1864. Square-plan, symmetrical, Neo-Byzantine domed mausoleum with 4 Ionic pilasters recessed between channelled quoins supporting semi-circular pediments to each elevation and set into steeply sloping ground with entrance in exposed basement to N. Polished yellow ashlar sandstone; coursed bull-faced sandstone to basement. 3-step base to each elevation; dentilled eaves cornice continuing over pediments.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: 2-leaf studded and panelled timber door, recessed in deep ashlar architrave at basement; inscribed panel above.

Curved abutments flanking basement wall terminated by plinths supporting recumbent lions, lion to the left awake, lion to right asleep. Douglas coat of arms set into N pediment. Cross-finialled dome pierced with glazed stars.

INTERIOR: ashlar-lined chamber with stone coffin flanked by angels.

Statement of Interest

The Monteath Douglas Mausoleum is both a striking piece of architecture and a prominent landmark, set on high ground on Gersit Law and can be seen from several miles away in all directions. It is very finely detailed and an excellent example of the work of Peddie & Kinnear at this time. A similar star-studded dome had been used by the practice on the dome of the Royal Bank of Scotland building in Andrew Square, Edinburgh a few years earlier.

The monument was commissioned by General Sir Thomas Monteath Douglas of Stonebyres (died 1868) in the early 1860s. The inscription reads: 'In memory of General Sir Thomas Monteath Douglas KCB of Stonebyres, Lanarkshire, who died XVIII October MDCCCLXVIII'.

Recommended Books

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.