History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stronvar Bridge over River Balvag

A Category B Listed Building in Balquhidder, Stirling

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.3551 / 56°21'18"N

Longitude: -4.3725 / 4°22'21"W

OS Eastings: 253500

OS Northings: 720607

OS Grid: NN535206

Mapcode National: GBR 0V.3FPW

Mapcode Global: WH3LP.TJ1H

Entry Name: Stronvar Bridge over River Balvag

Listing Date: 5 September 1973

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 335415

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4187

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Balquhidder

County: Stirling

Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith

Parish: Balquhidder

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Kingshouse

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

1779-80, possibly incorporating earlier fabric. Long bridge of 3 segmental arches with triangular cutwaters to both elevations and 3 smaller flood arches diminishing in size to N. Waist-height parapet with flat copes. This is an unaltered and unusually long 18th century bridge of considerable architectural and historic interest. It is a notable local landmark.

Materials: random rubble with roughly dressed voussoirs and copes.

Statement of Interest

This is an important river-crossing, linking the upland areas of the parish around Glen Buckie to the Kirkton of Balquhidder. It also linked Balquhidder to the drove road that went to Glasgow via Glen Buckie and Brig O' Turk. The bridge previous to this one, which was built 1705-6 and cost just over 436 pounds, is described by James Stewart: it had masonry piers and a timber superstructure. By the 1740s it was in a state of disrepair and was replaced with the present bridge in 1780. The bridge was paid for by the Commissioners of Annexed Estates, and several papers relating to its construction are held at the National Archives (see References). The tenants of Balquhidder petitioned the Commissioners for a bridge in February 1779, and by March that year plans had been drawn up (signed by Patrick McInnes, who was presumably employed by the commissioners) and an estimate prepared. By July 1780 building was well under way. The cost of the bridge came to about 215 pounds. The bridge at Strathyre was built at the same time and is similar in design but has only 2 arches.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.