This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0667 / 56°4'0"N
Longitude: -4.3463 / 4°20'46"W
OS Eastings: 254028
OS Northings: 688465
OS Grid: NS540884
Mapcode National: GBR 0W.PTTT
Mapcode Global: WH3N2.6SL2
Entry Name: Ballindalloch, Sundial to South of Ballindalloch
Listing Date: 5 September 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335429
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4201
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Probably later 17th century. Obelisk sundial. Sandstone ashlar. Square-plan shaft surmounted by polyhedron head with tall obelisk finial (approximately 2.5 metres tall in total). Base comprising 2 square-plan steps surmounted by one circular-plan step. Shaft carved into 4 false courses; variously shaped incised motifs carved one to each side of each 'course' except for N side, which has only one motif (to 3rd 'course); motifs include circles, hearts and diagonal lines (either separately or combined). 8-sided polyhedron recessed at arrises with horizontal band (incised to outer planes, projecting at recesses) to centre. Obelisk finial carved into 7 false courses (top one damaged). Gnomons to polyhedron and obelisk finial missing.
B-Group with the Old Stables, Walled Garden and N and S Lodges (see separate list descriptions). A fine example of a 17th sundial type. According to Stevenson it was innovative in introducing new designs for shaft motifs which later became widespread. The incised motifs partly worked as dials in their own right. Additionally there would have been a number of gnomons on the various sides of the polyhedron head and obelisk finial. The original Ballindalloch House, which appears on William Edgar's survey of 1745, was demolished in 1868 and replaced by a new building of the same name. Some of this later structure remains as the present Ballindalloch (although large parts of it were demolished in 1967-69). According to Stevenson the property was acquired by John Cunningham in around 1678 and the sundial might date from this time (erected to commemorate the event). It was previously situated slightly further to the N.
Other nearby listed buildings