History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mains of Glinn

A Category B Listed Building in Forth and Endrick, Stirling

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0924 / 56°5'32"N

Longitude: -4.1976 / 4°11'51"W

OS Eastings: 263373

OS Northings: 691023

OS Grid: NS633910

Mapcode National: GBR 11.N4ZH

Mapcode Global: WH4P8.H4C9

Entry Name: Mains of Glinn

Listing Date: 5 September 1973

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 335431

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4203

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Balfron

County: Stirling

Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick

Parish: Balfron

Traditional County: Stirlingshire

Find accommodation in
Kippen

Description

Dated 1743; with later addition; restored later 20th century. 2-storey and attic; 5-bay main block with single storey; 3-bay addition to W; forming long rectangular-plan. Symmetrical principal (N) elevation to main block with Gibbs surround to entrance. Laird's house. Harled with sandstone ashlar drressings. Eaves cornice. Flush architraves to openings. Strip quoins at arrises. Coped gables with moulded skewputts to main block.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central entrance with Gibbs surround to main block; keystone inscribed 'MB MG 1743'; replacement 2-leaf panelled timber door. Window to ground and 1st floors to paired flanking bays; one above. Window to each of 3 bays to single storey addition to right. Modern walled yard adjoins to outer right.

S ELEVATION: irregularly disposed windows to main block; 4 to ground and 1st floors; that to outer left of 1st floor larger; 2 rooflights to attic. 2 windows to single storey addition to left. Modern walled yard adjoins to outer left.

E ELEVATION: window to right of 1st floor; small attic window to gable.

W ELEVATION: entrance with replacement part-glazed door to gable end of single storey extension.

12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roofs. Gablehead stack with moulded coping at either end (E and W) of main block; round cans.

Statement of Interest

A well restored mid 18th century smaller laird's house. Its design is fairly sophisticated given its size and relatively early date (and rather remote location on the old Kippen-Fintry road). It was described by the RCAHMS in 1957 as 'roofless and falling into total ruin'. The attached (later) outbuildings which were formerly grouped about it to form a 3-sided courtyard were by this time 'completely ruinous'. In the 18th century the lands of Glins belonged to the Buchanan family and the initials 'M B' over the main entrance are thought to be those of Moses Buchanan, 2nd son of John Buchanan of Carbeth (M C would probably be the initials of his wife). Plans executed by the RCHAMS show a symmetrical double-pile arrangement with a central semicircular-plan staircase leading off a lobby just inside the main entrance. The RCHAMS describe a moulded stone fireplace in the room to the E of the entrance lobby and a corner fireplace in the room to the S of that; and on the 1st floor stone fireplaces with 'sunk-wrought' lintels with rounded angles; one of which, in the larger of the 2 rooms at the E, had a continuous bead-moulding around its arris. In about 1970 the house was restored in association with the National Trust for Scotland. This included almost completely rebuilding the single storey addition to the W.

Recommended Books

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.