This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1788 / 56°10'43"N
Longitude: -4.3796 / 4°22'46"W
OS Eastings: 252383
OS Northings: 701010
OS Grid: NN523010
Mapcode National: GBR 0V.GL2W
Mapcode Global: WH3MG.PYNN
Entry Name: Aberfoyle, St Mary's Episcopal Church
Listing Date: 6 September 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335437
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4208
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
St Mary's, built 1893-4, was designed by James Miller (see Notes) in a simple Gothic Arts and Crafts style, near-rectangular in plan, with a deep rubble base capped by a stringcourse, harled above with red sandstone dressings and small lancet windows. The church is located on a wooded knoll above the main street of the village. St Mary's is a small rural church of style, with a picturesque situation, and of little altered condition and streetscape value.
The church is composed of a long rectangular aisleless nave, orientated E-W, with the principal (S) elevation facing over the main street below. This 5-bay elevation has 2 gabled projections, to the far left a small timber-framed porch with cusped timber framed windows, and just to the left of the chancel bay, a larger projection with a simple plate tracery window of 2 lancets and a roundel above; this bay houses the organ chamber within. To the roof above, over the chancel arch, is gable-roofed open belfry.
The W gable features a plate-tracery window of 3 lancets and a roundel above, while the E (chancel) gable has a segmentally arched rectangular window with 4 lancet lights.The rear (N) elevation is purposefully plain, 5-bay with a lean-to roofed vestry projecting at the left side.
The church is entered by a 2-leaf timber-panelled and glazed door with leaded quarries and a fleur-de-lys motif to the centre. Some of the windows have 20th century stained glass. The interior is plastered with a 4-bay arch-braced, king post roof, the ceiling is lined by timber spars. 20th century stained glass to some of the lancets. Carved oak reredos, installed 1950s, bears date 1683. Circular stone pulpit pierced with cusped Gothic arches, 1899. Timber pews.
Hugh Kennedy, the main contractor for the construction of the Buchlyvie-Aberfoyle railway, opened in 1885, was also the contractor for the construction of St Mary's, and possibly contributed funds to the construction. He also built the adjacent Craiguchty Terrace (see separate listing) which was also designed by James Miller. The Land on which the church is built was donated by the Duke of Montrose.
Other nearby listed buildings