History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Broughton, Avernish

A Category C Listed Building in Tweeddale West, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6156 / 55°36'56"N

Longitude: -3.4113 / 3°24'40"W

OS Eastings: 311208

OS Northings: 636685

OS Grid: NT112366

Mapcode National: GBR 43MH.8S

Mapcode Global: WH6V7.K3ST

Entry Name: Broughton, Avernish

Listing Date: 23 February 1971

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 335503

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4262

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Broughton, Glenholm and Kilbucho

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Tweeddale West

Parish: Broughton, Glenholm And Kilbucho

Traditional County: Peeblesshire

Find accommodation in
Broughton

Description

Late 18th century, single storey 3-bay, symmetrical, L-plan street front cottage on the main street of the village. Squared coursed whinstone rubble with red sandstone quoins and margins. Painted and rendered rear elevation. Later openings with brick margins to rear.

Half-glazed bi-fold timber entrance door. 12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Small grey graded slate roofs, corniced ashlar stack with octagonal clay cans.

INTERIOR: Rare survival of interior plan layout of small rooms and think internal walls. 4-panelled timber doors. Timber panelled shutters.

Statement of Interest

B-Group with Broughton Green House, Broughton Stores, Dassfauld, Dumra, Kintyre Cottage, The Lodge.

Avernish is a fine example of a small simple village cottage in almost original condition, central located on the main street and making a good contribution to the streetscape and local area. The internal layout of rooms survives with the thickness of the original walls in evidence and some original timber work.

Broughton Village was developed as an estate village to the former Broughton House and owned by the Lairds of the Barony of Broughton until 1921 at which point it was put up for public sale. The Symington, Broughton and Biggar Railway was opened in 1860 allowing business men to travel daily to Glasgow and Edinburgh resulting in an expansion of the village with new villas being built although the main street has retained its distinct early 19th century form.

Formerly listed as part of a long run of cottages, 'Broughton Village, 7 Cottages, Broughton Green House, Etc (See Paper List for Full Details)' List description updated and category changed from B to C(S) in 2011 following reassessment of the street.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.