History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Drummuir, Botriphnie Parish Church (C of S) and Burial Ground with Remains of Former Church and Mural Monuments.

A Category B Listed Building in Speyside Glenlivet, Moray

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.4829 / 57°28'58"N

Longitude: -3.0434 / 3°2'36"W

OS Eastings: 337539

OS Northings: 844114

OS Grid: NJ375441

Mapcode National: GBR L8VY.GKL

Mapcode Global: WH7LG.751T

Entry Name: Drummuir, Botriphnie Parish Church (C of S) and Burial Ground with Remains of Former Church and Mural Monuments.

Listing Date: 22 February 1972

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 335530

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4283

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Botriphnie

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Speyside Glenlivet

Parish: Botriphnie

Traditional County: Banffshire

Find accommodation in
Auchindachy

Description

1820, alterations and additions, R B Pratt, Elgin, 1901.

Rectangular harl pointed rubble church, tooled ashlar

dressings. Long S facing elevation with pair large

round-headed windows flanked by entrances in outer bays

each with round-headed fanlight and double-leaf plank doors. Square-headed gallery window in each gable under relieving arch. Ball-finialled bellcote at W gable apex (re-used from old

church, Keith); re-hung 1753 bell; ball finial at E apex.

1901. Minister's room extends at E gable. Single storey,

2 bays with round-headed door and window.

1901 glazing throughout. Slate roofs.

1986 extension at rear of Minister's room.

INTERIOR: original galleried lay-out. 5-sided gallery

supported by cast-iron columns; original field-panel front

with Gordon-Duff armorials inset at centre. 19th century

mural monuments.

BURIAL GROUND: semi-circular rubble walled burial ground

fronts church with some up-standing remains of 1617 (and

possibly earlier) church now re-used as burial enclosure

with various exceptionally good mural monuments dated

1667, 1727 and 1758. 17th century and subsequent tombstones.

Simple entrance to burial ground closed by pair cast-iron

spearhead carriage gates.

MURAL MONUMENTS IN RUINOUS OLD CHURCH;

1667; commemorating Ann Gordon and Katherine Leslie, sited on

E wall, a Corinthianesque aedicule with good 17th century

lettering and enriched frieze.

1727, commemorating Reverend George Chalmers, sited on W,

wall, Roman Doric aedicule with pulvinated frieze, broken

segmental armorial pediment and finely carved nimbus flanking

a bible containing a white marble tablet in black frame.

1758, commemorating Helen Chalmers, sited on S wall, Ionic

pilastered and pedimented aedicule.

Undated 18th century panel to John Stewart on exterior

of S wall.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Bellcote at old church Keith superseded when new St Rufus

church, with substantial tower, was opened circa 1819. In it

hangs bell cast in 1753 by John Mowat of Old Aberdeen.

Very fine mural monuments in old church (ruin).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.