This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.4828 / 57°28'58"N
Longitude: -3.0432 / 3°2'35"W
OS Eastings: 337546
OS Northings: 844097
OS Grid: NJ375440
Mapcode National: GBR L8VY.GMV
Mapcode Global: WH7LG.752Y
Entry Name: Drummuir, Botriphnie Parish Church (C of S) and Burial Ground with Remains of Former Church and Mural Monuments.
Listing Date: 22 February 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335531
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4283
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Speyside Glenlivet
Traditional County: Banffshire
1820, alterations and additions, R B Pratt, Elgin, 1901.
Rectangular harl pointed rubble church, tooled ashlar
dressings. Long S facing elevation with pair large
round-headed windows flanked by entrances in outer bays
each with round-headed fanlight and double-leaf plank doors. Square-headed gallery window in each gable under relieving arch. Ball-finialled bellcote at W gable apex (re-used from old
church, Keith); re-hung 1753 bell; ball finial at E apex.
1901. Minister's room extends at E gable. Single storey,
2 bays with round-headed door and window.
1901 glazing throughout. Slate roofs.
1986 extension at rear of Minister's room.
INTERIOR: original galleried lay-out. 5-sided gallery
supported by cast-iron columns; original field-panel front
with Gordon-Duff armorials inset at centre. 19th century
BURIAL GROUND: semi-circular rubble walled burial ground
fronts church with some up-standing remains of 1617 (and
possibly earlier) church now re-used as burial enclosure
with various exceptionally good mural monuments dated
1667, 1727 and 1758. 17th century and subsequent tombstones.
Simple entrance to burial ground closed by pair cast-iron
spearhead carriage gates.
MURAL MONUMENTS IN RUINOUS OLD CHURCH;
1667; commemorating Ann Gordon and Katherine Leslie, sited on
E wall, a Corinthianesque aedicule with good 17th century
lettering and enriched frieze.
1727, commemorating Reverend George Chalmers, sited on W,
wall, Roman Doric aedicule with pulvinated frieze, broken
segmental armorial pediment and finely carved nimbus flanking
a bible containing a white marble tablet in black frame.
1758, commemorating Helen Chalmers, sited on S wall, Ionic
pilastered and pedimented aedicule.
Undated 18th century panel to John Stewart on exterior
of S wall.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Bellcote at old church Keith superseded when new St Rufus
church, with substantial tower, was opened circa 1819. In it
hangs bell cast in 1753 by John Mowat of Old Aberdeen.
Very fine mural monuments in old church (ruin).
Other nearby listed buildings