This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9788 / 55°58'43"N
Longitude: -3.2053 / 3°12'19"W
OS Eastings: 324882
OS Northings: 676853
OS Grid: NT248768
Mapcode National: GBR 8L4.78
Mapcode Global: WH6SD.QZVH
Entry Name: 114 and 116 Trinity Road, North Trinity House, with Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 20 May 1997
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335703
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4445
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Forth
Traditional County: Midlothian
John Dick Peddie and Charles George Hood Kinnear, dated 1858. 2-storey many-gabled asymmetrical house, now subdivided. Squared and snecked reddish sandstone with ashlar dressings; battered string course dividing floors. Chamfered reveals to windows. Overhanging bracketed eaves; bargeboarded gables.
S ELEVATION: 5-bay. Advanced gabled entrance bay to centre; timber boarded door with decorative hinges in depressed arched, stop-chamfered surround with hoodmoulded carved heraldic panel; window and carved date inscription panel (1858) in gablehead above corbelled dividing course. Narrow bay to left, with stone-mullioned bipartite window at ground; 2-light window in corbelled out gablehead with cusped timber tracery and colonnette mullions in round-arched opening at 1st floor. Lower gabled bay to right with window at ground and wallhead dormer breaking eaves. Gabled outer bay to left, window to each floor. Advanced gabled bay to outer right.
E ELEVATION: modern conservatory adjoins ground floor.
N ELEVATION: slightly advanced gabled bay to left, with stone mullioned 2-light window to ground, single window in gablehead above. Penultimate bay to left has narrow window to left at ground floor and modern porch extension; 2 gabled windows breaking eaves above. 3 bay advanced section to right, with 2-storey canted bay to left, scoop-corbelled at 1st floor, swept to square in gablehead; hoodmoulded blank heraldic panel in gablehead. Gabled bay on return has (?recent) oval window to ground, stone-mullioned 2-light window at 1st floor, and carved motif in gablehead. Bipartite window to each floor in bay to right, 1st floor window breaking eaves in gabled dormerhead.
Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Square section single corniced stacks with decorative square section cans, mostly at ridges.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: red sandstone ashlar gatepiers with projecting base and platformed pyramidal caps. Stone coped coursed rubble boundary wall
Designed by John Dick Peddie for his brother, Donald Smith Peddie, CA. Previously thought to have been John Dick Peddie's own house. Post Office Directory for 1860 lists Donald Smith Peddie as living at North Trinity House. The title deeds for the house also show Donald Smith Peddie as the owner until 1881, when Peddie's goods were sequestered and his assets sold. The house was bought back by John Dick Peddie in 1883 and sold on. (Information courtesy of the owner, Dr WS Robertson).
Other nearby listed buildings