History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

East Range, Cotton Warehouse and Workshops, Stanley Mills

A Category B Listed Building in Strathtay, Perth and Kinross

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.4792 / 56°28'45"N

Longitude: -3.4391 / 3°26'20"W

OS Eastings: 311456

OS Northings: 732824

OS Grid: NO114328

Mapcode National: GBR V6.LNZK

Mapcode Global: WH6PZ.4DKV

Entry Name: East Range, Cotton Warehouse and Workshops, Stanley Mills

Listing Date: 30 June 1989

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 335761

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4491

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Auchtergaven

County: Perth and Kinross

Electoral Ward: Strathtay

Parish: Auchtergaven

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Stanley

Description

Circa 1823-55. 1- and 2-storey and attic gabled rubble-built ranges with ashlar dressings. Linking passages at 1st floor and attic. From S to N.

2-STOREY AND ATTIC BUILDING: perhaps a hand mule room or for hand looms, circa 1823-40. 10-bay, extended by 3 bays to N. 2 ground and 1 first floor doors in W elevation, originally windows. E elevation 3-storey piend roofed hoist tower to S on cast-iron brackets: later brick lift

shaft in S gable. Composite timber and iron trussed gangway to bleach works, partially boarded at centre of 1st floor.

WAREHOUSE: to N, 1-storey and attic, with 2 large round arched doors in E and W elevations. Smaller doors to small workshop at S. Round arched door with hoist door over in N gable.

INTERIOR: timber floors with length-wise beams. In 2-storey building a central row of vertically interconnected cast-iron columns, with flanged capitals to carry twin beams. 2 additional rows of timber props at ground floor. Bobbins on ceiling to direct belting. Plastered collar-beam attic. Similar attic over warehouse, with ground floor single row of cast-iron columns.

Statement of Interest

Apparently not initially a powered building. The layout of the 2-storey building suggest hand-operated spinning mules for weft. The attics of both building probably had similar purposes, such as reeling prior to bleaching. Bleachworks to East, part 1820s, extended late 19th and early 20th centuries, comprised in 1912 a stone-built bleaching croft, brick-built chlorine house and stone and brick drying house. Somewhat altered with timber slate roofs on cast-iron columns.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.