This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3493 / 56°20'57"N
Longitude: -3.4053 / 3°24'19"W
OS Eastings: 313244
OS Northings: 718330
OS Grid: NO132183
Mapcode National: GBR 20.3WFT
Mapcode Global: WH6QK.NNMW
Entry Name: Bridge of Earn, Back Street, Burnbrae, Burnside and Fetteresk
Listing Date: 26 August 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335814
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4542
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Almond and Earn
Traditional County: Perthshire
Dated 1800. Good survival of early 2-storey and 2-storey with attic, 5-bay tenement with dated oval panel in wallhead gable, and flanked by 2-storey and attic, 2-bay dwelling and later piended 2-storey, 2-bay shop and dwelling, on former main route at heart of Bridge of Earn village. Large blocks of red sandstone ashlar and snecked roughly squared and coursed red sandstone rubble to outer bays. Some droved window dressings.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: symmetrical entrance elevation to W with gablehead stack to centre wallhead gable, part-glazed timber door at centre flanked by later windows altered from doors. Canted dormer window over outer left bays. Altered rear (E) elevations.
4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows with horns to 1st floor and gablehead, non-traditional modern glazing elsewhere. Grey slates. Coped ashlar wallhead gable and ridge stacks with thackstanes and some cans.
This short terrace of local red sandstone buildings with Burnbrae at its centre is a significant element in the streetscape of this early part of the village of Bridge of Earn. It is a good survival of an early tenement building and it conforms to the Scottish tradition of a central wallhead gable. The building immediately to the north is the separately listed Cyprus Inn; it is similarly styled with its centre bay rising into a wallhead gable. The Inn appears on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map as a brewery, but as a public house on the 2nd edition. Development in Back Street commenced in 1769 when local joiner and undertaker, John Gilloch, obtained a ninety nine year lease from the Moncreiffe Estate of a strip of land running from Sealsbridge, to the south of Burnbrae, and the River Earn to the east. There are some good rubble boundary walls located at the rear of these properties.
List description revised 2009.
Other nearby listed buildings