This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.8435 / 56°50'36"N
Longitude: -3.1049 / 3°6'17"W
OS Eastings: 332693
OS Northings: 772996
OS Grid: NO326729
Mapcode National: GBR WC.QW9T
Mapcode Global: WH6ND.88P0
Entry Name: Clova Parish Church with Churchyard (Former Church of Scotland)
Listing Date: 11 June 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 336090
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4788
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Cortachy and Clova
Electoral Ward: Kirriemuir and Dean
Parish: Cortachy And Clova
Traditional County: Angus
1855. Single storey, 4-bay, gabled church with simple gablehead bellcote, later timber porch and rectangular windows with latticed glazing. Roughly squared, Aberdeen-bonded granite to principal elevations; granite rubble elsewhere; stugged red sandstone ashlar dressings. Long and short quoins and window margins; projecting window cills.
FURTHER DETAILS: 4 windows to S (principal elevation). Slated timber-boarded porch outshot from W gable; simple stone birdcage bellcote to gable apex. Single window to centre of rendered E elevation; cross finial to gable apex. Unfenestrated N elevation.
Fixed, lattice-glazed lights. Ashlar-coped skews. Graded Scottish slate with metal flashings.
INTERIOR: timber-boarded panelling to dado. Stained glass window at E end.
CHURCHYARD: enclosed by random rubble boundary/retaining wall with iron gate. Predominantly 19th century gravestones with some nicely-carved, but weathered 18th century ones.
Ecclesiastical building, now owned by the community and used for eccumenical services (2006). A simple, little-altered Victorian parish church situated in a prominent position on raised ground at the southern edge of Clova village. The church is the first building to be passed on entering the village and, despite its diminutive size and simple architecture, it is something of a local landmark. Together with its churchyard (which is still in use as a cemetery) it makes a very positive contribution to the character of the village. According to A J Warden, it was erected in 1855. It replaced an early 18th century building, which stood on the same site, and it is possible that parts of the earlier church are incorporated into the present fabric. Clova was a Quoad Sacra Parish, which means that although it was joined with Cortachy for lay administrative affairs, it was a separate parish for religious affairs.
Other nearby listed buildings