This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.0288 / 55°1'43"N
Longitude: -5.0128 / 5°0'46"W
OS Eastings: 207537
OS Northings: 574626
OS Grid: NX075746
Mapcode National: GBR GH0F.0M0
Mapcode Global: WH1QH.ZV4Q
Entry Name: Glenapp Manse and Steading
Listing Date: 22 October 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 336151
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4849
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Girvan and South Carrick
Traditional County: Ayrshire
1850. 2-storey, 3-bay, L-plan, gabled former manse with slightly advanced kneelered, finialled, gabled central entrance bay and single storey wing to rear. Whitewashed random rubble with ashlar dressings. Quoin strips; regular fenestration to front elevation; raised window margins with projecting cills. Corniced entrance architrave with inset pilasters flanking deeply recessed timber-panelled front door with fanlight; raised blank cartouche in porch gable. Irregularly fenestrated rear elevation with wing extending from left. with finialled gable and kneelered skew.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Ashlar-coped skews. Limewashed, squared stone stacks with ashlar cornice and margins; tall octagonal buff clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: small porch leading to central hallway; nosed stone stairway with decorative cast-iron balusters and polished wooden handrail. Timber-panelled doors, timber window surrounds, working timber shutters, presses and simple cornicing throughout.
STEADING: L-plan steading to E of manse. 2-storey N range; single storey E range; central projecting gabled outshot with side door. Random rubble with ashlar-coped skews and grey slate stone-ridged roof. Irregular fenestration. Vehicle entrances and hayloft to N range. Some timber-boarded doors.
: An elegant mid 19th century manse in a picturesque location, with its associated steading little altered. The survival of the steading is unusual - as is its size which is remarkably large for a glebe of 15 acres (see below). It is possible that the steading predates the church and manse and survives from an earlier farm on the site; it could be the 'Highmark' that is shown on John Thomson and William Johnson's map of 1828.
In his 1836 report on the parish for the New Statistical Account (1845), Rev. John Milroy reports: 'A few years ago, a benevolent lady of the name of Caddall bequeathed the sum of L.4500, and 15 acres of land, to build and endow a chapel and school in Glenapp in connection with the Established Church, and also to found a bursary for a student preparing for the ministry. The trustees whom she nominated have set the school and the bursary in operation, have selected the land for the glebe, and intend to proceed with the chapel as soon as the funds, after the necessary building and inclosing, will afford a decent competency to a clergyman. Persons of the names of Butters and Caddall are to be preferred.' The school (not listed), originally known as Butters School and now converted for residential use, is a single-storey building very similar in style to the manse, situated to the west. The church, originally known as Butters Chapel, was built in 1850 between school and manse, to the designs of Peter Macgregor Chalmers, and is B-listed. An advertisement seeking contractors for Butter's Manse, as the manse was originally known, appeared in the Ayr Advertiser on 25 April 1850; no architect is mentioned. The manse was later known as Manse of the Mark and more recently as Glenapp Manse.
Other nearby listed buildings