This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5688 / 55°34'7"N
Longitude: -4.6286 / 4°37'42"W
OS Eastings: 234356
OS Northings: 633709
OS Grid: NS343337
Mapcode National: GBR 39.QBVD
Mapcode Global: WH2P9.W936
Entry Name: Hillhouse Estate, Stables
Listing Date: 22 October 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 336179
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4869
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kyle
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Early 19th century with early 20th century additions. Single storey and attic, courtyard-plan, gabled stable block ranges of various heights and some Gothic detailing. Rendered masonry with some polished ashlar dressings. Discontinuous eaves course. Some stop-chamfered ashlar quoin strips; irregular fenestration with some raised ashlar margins. Piend-roofed ranges to left and right of entrance route in N side terminating in low finialled broken pediments. Offices to N side of courtyard; coach house to SE corner of courtyard; stables and tack room with central bargeboarded hayloft with bracketed eaves to W side of courtyard. Central early 20th century piend-roofed vehicle canopy supported on cast-iron columns to E side of courtyard. Timber-boarded doors.
Ashlar-coped skews. Rendered, coped gablehead stack with clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: stables at SW corner with dark timber-boarded panelling to dado level; octagonal green tiling above to head height; timber and cast-iron dividers with ornamental cast-iron catches to gates; timber feeding troughs; cast-iron corner hay cages; star-shaped mounts to tethering hoops. Tack room to centre of W range with cast-iron fireplace, dark timber-boarded panelling and full-height dark timber cupboards with glazed sliding doors. Herringbone-pattern brick floors.
A substantial and intact early 19th century stable block with some Gothic detailing and good interiors, situated close to Hillhouse and forming an integral part of the estate. The stable fittings probably date from about 1880 and are similar to those at Dalmakerran and Duncow, both in Dumfries and Galloway (both listed). The vehicle shelter canopy on the east side is first shown on the 3rd Edition Ordnance Survey map (1907-9).
Hillhouse, built in the 18th century and extended in the 19th, is listed separately.