History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Doonholm Estate, Stables, Including Ancillary Structures and Loupin'-On Stane

A Category C Listed Building in Ayr, South Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.4233 / 55°25'23"N

Longitude: -4.6267 / 4°37'36"W

OS Eastings: 233862

OS Northings: 617515

OS Grid: NS338175

Mapcode National: GBR 49.0H01

Mapcode Global: WH2PW.XY09

Entry Name: Doonholm Estate, Stables, Including Ancillary Structures and Loupin'-On Stane

Listing Date: 29 March 2000

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 336184

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4874

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Ayr

County: South Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Ayr West

Parish: Ayr

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Ayr

Description

Dated 1889. Single storey and 2-storey, 7-bay, courtyard plan former stable block, with L-plan stable block and kennels adjacent. Harled with raised cement-faced margins. Eaves course; eaves blocking course to 2-storey blocks of principal elevation.

SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; gabled 2-storey centre bay, round-arched pend to ground floor with impost detail, leading to courtyard; tooled sandstone Kennedy coat of arms to centre of gable, flanked to left by initials "JK" and to right by "1889". Single storey, 2-bay blocks adjoining to left and right, horizontal 2-pane window to each bay; 2-storey, single bay blocks to outer left and right; window to ground floor of block to right, segmental-arched window above; window to ground floor of block to left, window breaking eaves to 1st floor above. Stepped-up gatepier adjoining to outer right.

NE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 7-bay; gatepiers adjoining to outer left; 2 segmental-arched openings near-centre of ground floor, flanked to left by small window and to right by broad pend to courtyard, 3 gableted windows breaking eaves above; boarded timber doors flanked by windows to left and right; single windows to ground and 1st floors of bay to outer left.

NW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3 deep segmental-arched openings to bays to left; flanking bay to right advanced, canted bay with 3 windows to ground and 1st floor, boarded timber door to left, 2 windows to left return; bays adjoining to outer right not seen 1999.

SW ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 4-bay; segmental-arched openings to ground and 1st floors of 2 central bays; flanking bays to left and right stepped forward, Venetian window recessed in segmental-arch to ground floors, tripartite windows above.

COURTYARD ELEVATIONS: round-arched pend to centre of SE block, flanked by 2-leaf sliding boarded glazed timber doors, glazed canopy oversailing SE block. Variety of boarded timber doors flanked by irregularly spaced windows to ground floor of remaining elevations, gableted windows breaking eaves and skylights to attic floor.

ANCILLARY STRUCTURES AND LOUPIN'-ON STANE: L-plan stable block and outbuilding to NE, boarded timber doors and irregularly spaced windows, segmental-arched openings, graded slate roof with lead ridges, skylights and ventilators. Small rectangular-plan kennels to NW of stables, harled with 2 runs to W, low walls surmounted by hooped iron railings, slate roof with overhanging eaves, skylights. Loupin'-on stane to NW of courtyard, rendered mounted blocks with 3 steps to left and right.

INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

Statement of Interest

B-Group with Doonholm and Doonholm Estate Sundial (see separate listings). What is now the Doonholm Estate was originally 2 smaller farms of Berriesden and Warlockholm, owned by the town of Ayr. In 1754 they were bought by James Neill at a public sale, who sold them to David Mitchell a year later. Dr William Fergusson, a retired physician bought the two farms and the 40 acres they came with from Mitchell in 1756 (two years later he also bought Mount Oliphant, see separate listing). Fergusson named the estate Doonholm, which was on the banks of the River Doon, and was responsible for building the house circa 1760. After changing ownership a few times more the estate was bought by the Kennedy family, who appear to have built the stables. The appearance of a stable court on the 1st Edition OS Map, suggests that perhaps Kennedy remodelled an existing building. 24 horses could be accommodated in the Georgian-style stables, which have now converted to domestic and agricultural use.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.