History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ardentinny, Blinkbonny, Raglan, Fern Cottage and Glencairn, Including Boundary Walls

A Category B Listed Building in Cowal, Argyll and Bute

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0465 / 56°2'47"N

Longitude: -4.9106 / 4°54'38"W

OS Eastings: 218810

OS Northings: 687552

OS Grid: NS188875

Mapcode National: GBR 06.R0SF

Mapcode Global: WH2LV.J9T1

Entry Name: Ardentinny, Blinkbonny, Raglan, Fern Cottage and Glencairn, Including Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 20 July 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 336378

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB5057

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dunoon and Kilmun

County: Argyll and Bute

Electoral Ward: Cowal

Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Find accommodation in
Ardentinny

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

This group of earlier 19th century cottages at the N end of Ardentinny village, facing E over the sea makes a significant contribution to the streetscape in Ardentinny. The cottage group includes an earlier 19th century school, added on to the N end of the row. The row consists of what is now four cottages, the three southernmost in a straight line, with steeply-pitched slate roofs and slated dormers. To the N, at an angle, is the octagonal-ended piend-roofed former school. Their early date and contribution to the parish is significant

The date of construction of the cottages is uncertain. However, an early 19th century date is most likely and it is possible these are the buildings which appear next to the river on the 1824 map by Thomson. The cottages are likely to have been related to the estate at Glenfinart. This original row probably consisted of three cottages, with a smaller one in the middle. However, it has also been suggested that the middle cottage may have been a smithy (information from a resident, 2004). The steep pitch suggests these cottages were originally thatched.

Blinkbonny is 4-bay and asymmetrical, with a flat-roofed porch and slated dormers, Raglan single-fronted with a bowed ground floor window, a bipartite dormer and a gabled timber porch and Fern Cottage 3-bay with a gabled porch and piended dormers. Glencairn has the half-octagon end, with large chamfered-margin windows, and a single dormer.

The estate of Glenfinart was purchased by Archibald Douglas in c1837 and a number of improvements carried out to the area. This included the construction of the church immediately to the N of the cottages in 1838-9. Also at this time (c1842) Mrs Douglas of Glenfinart constructed the octagonal-ended school to the N of the cottages. The Statistical Account of 1845 mentions a house for the teacher adjoining a new school. The new construction is distinguished by the use of more ashlar dressings and considerably larger windows facing N. This rebuilding probably also involved slating the roofs of the remaining cottages.

On the first edition O.S map of c1865 there are outbuildings to the rear of the two cottages to the S. These have been extended by c1898. At present (2004), there are rear extensions to all 4 cottages, only those at Blinkbonny Cottage pre-20th century. At Fern Cottage, the outhouses are probably those of the older school.

The school was replaced in 1893, and appears to have been amalgamated with the schoolteacher's house to form a larger cottage.

Since then there have been some changes to the cottages. The school and teacher's house have once again been divided to form two cottages.

Interiors: the interiors of Blinkbonny and Raglan cottage have been modernised. Access to Glencairn and Fern Cottage was not possible at the time of resurvey (2004).

Materials: white painted rubble with some ashlar dressings, particularly to Glencairn. Grey slate roofs, stone stacks with clay cans. Predominantly multi-pane timber sash and case windows.

Boundary Walls: stone rubble boundary walls with semicircular copes to the road.

Statement of Interest

B-group with Ardentinny Church (separate listing).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.